Floor monitors vs side fills, opinions

• Members

I've been thinking about the monitor portion of my rig. As a drummer that plays in clubs I can say that I can't stand it when I have a monitor or set of monitors to just one side of me, blasting at one side of my head.

With this said does it make sense for me to use side fills instead of floor monitors? I was thinking of keeping one wedge up front strictly for the lead vocals with a pair of side fills right behind the mains pointing into the stage and a second pair of side fills at the rear of the stage pointing inwards towards the drummer on either side.

Just in theory (in my head) this would provide a much better overall sound on stage versus often annoying floor monitors. Feel free to shoot it down or back me up.

• Members

And come to think of it I actually played a very small stage which used a pair of monitors rigged up in the corners of the back of the stage pointing to the front of the stage. One of the best stage mixes I've ever had. Of course no vocals out of those...eek

• Members

I've been thinking about the monitor portion of my rig. As a drummer that plays in clubs I can say that I can't stand it when I have a monitor or set of monitors to just one side of me, blasting at one side of my head.

With this said does it make sense for me to use side fills instead of floor monitors? I was thinking of keeping one wedge up front strictly for the lead vocals with a pair of side fills right behind the mains pointing into the stage and a second pair of side fills at the rear of the stage pointing inwards towards the drummer on either side.

Just in theory (in my head) this would provide a much better overall sound on stage versus often annoying floor monitors. Feel free to shoot it down or back me up.

If you prefer a "side-fill" set up as a drummer, why not just put a speaker on either side of you, and leave the front a traditional set up? What's the purpose of front sidefills and a center floor monitor for vox versus all floor monitors up front?

I mean it seems to me the only difference you are thinking is the way speaker/monitor is positioned, either sitting on the floor angled back, or sitting on the side/elevated pointing straight back.

Generally a side fill is the house mix and the floor monitors are mixed separately for each person.

If there is only going to be one mix I guess putting the speakers/monitors in a position to wash the entire stage could be more ideal. But if you are going to spend the money and time to set up a 5+ speakers and amps, why not consider IEM and have the coverage perfect wherever the performer steps on stage?

• CMS Author

You might be confusing terms a bit. Side fill is for providing one side of a wide stage with the backline of the far side. So if you're at stage left playing bass, you get the percussionist and guitarist from stage right in your side fill, and they get you in theirs.

Are you considering using sidefill for vocals, and/or to replace wedges for just you, or for the whole band? This may not work out so well as a vocal monitor, as the positioning and distance are more of a compromise.

• Members

i don't find any particular kind of monitors "annoying" nor one off to the side. side fills are less annoying? not if you're the one right next to one and it's blasting the side of your ear so the drummer can hear a balanced mix... see my point? more stuff is simply more to bring. i personally don't want/need to make that many more trips to unload the gear, and hook it all up

• Members

i don't find any particular kind of monitors "annoying" nor one off to the side. side fills are
less
annoying? not if you're the one right next to one and it's blasting the side of
your
ear so the drummer can hear a balanced mix... see my point? more stuff is simply more to bring. i personally don't want/need to make that many more trips to unload the gear, and hook it all up

Yeah you're right, i guess it's blasting in someones ear either way! This is more of a permanent installation deal BTW...

• Members

you also have to be aware that at some point you can blast the stage with too much and it will go into the mics. side fills up front and more in the back, carying same information, will be at different distances to each mic, a recipe for some washed out phase cancelled mud..

• Members

you also have to be aware that at some point you can blast the stage with too much and it
will
go into the mics. side fills up front and more in the back, carying same information, will be at different distances to each mic, a recipe for some washed out phase cancelled mud..

You're right. And I just found a fantastic article on this subject:

http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/downloads/peavey/sidefills.pdf

So what I should consider is cross stage monitoring, okay got it!

Archived