MXL 603s $29 MF Deal of the Day

• Members

Thanks

I'm in for 2. Reviews I found aren't bad. Seems like a good "I don't really need this, but you never can tell" purchase. I run sound for bands other than my own maybe once or twice a year. Only other condensers I have are a measurement mic and an AT4033 studio.

• Members

Can you give us a quick review?

I guess it's kinda late now, but they're definitely useable condensors. They've got kind of a bright character that's really nice on acoustic guitars. They don't have a lot of bottom end so they don't necessarily work very well as overheads without close mics, although due to their bright nature they make cymbals sound very smooth and chimey.

• Members

I picked up 2 at 6:30 sunday morning and at 5:00 am est monday they are still up. Maybe they are going to run for more than one day? Should be good for Hi Hats.

Dookietwo

I wanted to add. About a week ago I ordered a mxl 604 through Ebay. It came with 2 capsules. Both Omni and Cardioid capsules. It also came with a mxl-41-603 shock mount. The 604 has full range. Low cut and 10db pad on the mic.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic/mxl604/mxl604.htm

It seems to be a 603 with a few more features. Mic is solid with a nice build for the price. The 3 way switch could be more solid but with some care it should be fine.

I compared the 604 to Audix 0m3 and 0m5 mics. The audix mics have a lower gain than most mic's I have use in the past and the mxl was aprox 20 db's louder. With the 20db pad on my board turned on they had close to the same level. The audix mic's have a roll off in the low end where the mxl had plenty of lows. This of course increased in the mxl with vocals if you worked the mic closer than 3 inches or so. Handling noise on the mxl was very high compared to the audix mics. I would recommend the shock mount pretty much all the time. Also as its a condensor it has plenty of P pop sounds as you sing/speak into it. Should you happen to use the mic for vocals you would want a pop filter.

Above 200hz or so the mic's sounded close to the same with the 604 having just a little more air to the sound.

Over all I was happy with the "sound" of the mic. At least with my voice and using the mic to pick up room noise. ( Tv in the other room/clock sounds/cars going by out the window etc.) I feel if the 603's are in the same family as the as the 604 that they should be great mics for overheads/high hats/maybe lower volume snares/acoustic guitar/upright bass etc.

At 30 bucks. Couldn't hurt to have a few around.

Dookietwo

• Members

sorry, but it seems odd to compare a handheld vocal dynamic to a small diaphragm condensor. they're completely different mics that do different things.

Yes I know but they were all I had in front of me at the time. Had to have something to compare to. Other than a dbx rta mic or a peavey pvr-1 rta mic I had nothing at hand to compare them to. I'll compare the 604 to the 603 when they come in. It sure looks like the same mic if you compare the spec's.

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic/mxl603s/mxl603s.htm

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic/mxl604/mxl604.htm

Dookietwo

Archived