Need help running a vocal monitor

• Members

I need my vocals LOUD, now I know every vocalist says that but I actually purchaced my own rig to accomplish this just for myself, I have a DBX ProVocal I use as a pre amp a ART 31 band graphic EQ and a 1800w carvin power amp, I have one Yamaha SM12Hii I am using a SM58 and I have a powerful vocal style I sing loud. I have to compeat with a marshall all tube half stack on my left and a real loud roland combo on my right plus huge drums and booming bass, so my question is how can I get my levels loud enough to clearly hear my vocals and not get massive uncontroable feedback? Should I change my signal chain? Should I have different rack gear? Any help is appricated. Thanks

• Members

The answer that doesn't cost anything? they're too loud. Let me guess, they don't sing and it's your problem..

where is the monitor placed?

that's an older Yamaha monitor, the grey one? You should be able to EQ and set gain so that you'll get the most out of the combo you have. If you're getting uncontrollable feedback already, a better monitor won't solve the problem but could provide better sound quality and focus

• Members

In ears.

But, the band needs to learn how to play with reasonable stage volume.

+100, in ears are cheaper, smaller and safer than the system you described. If you go this route check into custom molds and an ambient room mic.

• Members

Set aside money from every gig. That way in a few months or years you can afford the hearing aids and the trips to the audiologist since you've gone deaf.

This is no laughing matter. You make music. It is an art form that is conveyed to listeners ears. Take care of your ears and the ears of your listeners.

Once you lose it, you lose it.

Johnny

• Members

The answer that doesn't cost anything? they're too loud. Let me guess, they don't sing and it's your problem..

where is the monitor placed?

that's an older Yamaha monitor, the grey one? You should be able to EQ and set gain so that you'll get the most out of the combo you have. If you're getting uncontrollable feedback already, a better monitor won't solve the problem but could provide better sound quality and focus

I usually have the monitor placed in front of me or slightly to my right which I favor listening from. Yea its the older grey one in great shape the sound is very crisp and clear. I can set the gain just fine in my studio at home using the setup but yea at practice or shows I sing so its my problem to hear myself. I have had in ears before the shure psm's I liked them they worked well for me. I just don't know if I can dump my rig because I play in two bands both don't have monitors and one doesn't have a PA so my monitor is usually the only source of hearing vocals for the band.

• Members

One more vote for protecting your ears. If you can't hear yourself sing through a basic wedge, it's too loud. Have everyone turn down and let the mains do the work. If they won't turn down, you need IEMs. Pricey, but cheaper than being deaf.

• CMS Author

There's no magic here. Every setup has a maximum gain before feedback. If you can't get any louder now, there's not going to be any major gains made by changing things around or even getting a different speaker.

Use the IEM's for yourself, both to hear and to preserve whatever's left of your hearing. Let the rest of the band listen through the speaker, which you can move away from you so there will be more gain for the others to hear. I recommend getting a good set of custom molds made to isolate the stage volume from you as much as possible. The more isolation, the less volume you need in the IEM's and the better you'll hear.

• Members

If they wont turn down ,, look for another band.

Ditto to infinity.

If they don't care whether you can hear yourself, then they don't know what being in a GROUP is about. Even if they say they care, but won't turn down, then they don't care.

Archived