settin up PA system with elec guitars on grass

• Members

I accepted a job to set up my modest PA system for an outside job. I've done a couple of jobs for this band before and they were always on stages.

I just got informed that it's going to be on a lawn.

I've always thought that this kind of situation had a large potential for electrocution.

Am I right? :facepalm:

• Members

Did sound for a band recently who felt the stage provided was too small so they moved the front sections out so that they were playing on the grass. Not only that but they were playing barefoot and the ground was a little damp.

I suggested to them that it might not be a great idea, and was right because the lead singer was getting shocks from his mic the entire set.

The night before they used the actual stage so they were not on the ground and had no problem. Should have stuck with the small stage i guess, but not my decision...............

• Members

I'm going to put my guess in (and hope someone experienced clarifies this). But if all of your stuff is on one ground to prevent ground loops. Couldn't you just drive a grounding rod attached to some of your rack gear so that your whole system has a definite and safe ground?

Also definitely wear nice rubber soled shoes.

My band did a gig outside and it managed to drizzle on us, we were out there all weekend on the grass in the wet and didn't have any problems. One amp died, but it had already been having problems.

• Members

Not a good idea. Floating grounds can ruin someone's day and possibly some gear. There are ways to lessen the possibility of problems but I have been shocked wearing rubber soled shoes on dry ground. Now we use wireless mics and guitars so we are somewhat isolated but we would still avoid that type of gig.

• Members

The problem isn't the grass but the equipment that is not connected to ground through a grounded plug. This is especially true of vintage guitar & bass amps, especially those that have been modified by hack techs.

Ground is ground (within reason) and anything that floats above ground is the problem.

I am currently installing 12 systems, most of them have access to dirt, grass or other earthly objects. There are no problems.

• Members

For your own safety and for the benefit of your gear, I would not play on a lawn.

Many, many years ago when I was a teenager, the band I was in at the time was hired to play an outdoor event. We got there and there was no stage, no grass, not much else other than a field of mud. We refused to play and went home. There was talk of a lawsuit by the client for not performing and we countered with a threat of a lawsuit for hiring us without providing appropriate facilities. I think we kept the deposit and neither party took it any further.

These days, if it's an outdoor gig, I include language like this in every contract:

A clean, level, solid performing area must be provided. Acceptable surfaces include cement, blacktop, wood, brick, carpeted stages, and the like. Unacceptable surfaces include grass, sand, gravel, loose earth, mud, and the like.

The performance area must be large enough for a minimum of four (4) musicians, instruments, amplification equipment, and lighting. A 10'X10' area is the bare minimum required.

All musicians and equipment must be under cover. Side cover must also be available in the event of inclement weather.

Electrical service consisting of a minimum of two (2) clean fifteen (15) amp circuits must be available within 10 feet of the performing area.

The purchaser/buyer will be responsible for ensuring the event and the performance are not in violation of any local ordinance(s), and securing any and all permits which may be necessary to legally conduct the event/performance.

• Members

Electrical service consisting of a minimum of two (2) clean fifteen (15) amp circuits must be available within 10 feet of the performing area.

If I may recommend, Replace the term "clean" to "dedicated for band/PA use only and not used for other lights and equipment" or words to that effect. I KNOW a big coffee urn, steam trays, and/or a beer keg cooler will shut down a PA in a heartbeat.

Boomerweps

Archived