Yamaha EMX512SC 8-Channel Powered Mixer or Peavey XR 8600 Powered Mixer?

• Members

I need a new powered mixer to run two carvin 1584 15" 3-ways and two carvin monitors for rock (running vox, micing bass & guitar through them). Just wondering if any of you have had experience with these (a/b). Mainly for rehearsal and small outdoor/indoor gigs w/powered sub. (50-100 people max). Nothing really loud wanted here. Just some decent clean power. We've used a cheap old 200 watt paowered p.a. that worked fine, just to give you an idea of how much we use/need.

Outside the major on-line stores reviews, i wanted to hear you gents opinion.

Thanks!!!!

• Members

I have the 8600, and use it for small band gigs, a spare monitor mix, etc. I like it. It works pretty well when you use both amps for mains and run monitors off a power amp. The DDT comp is a bit wanky sounding but works. The effects are decent, although not much headroom on them. It has 600 watts at 4 ohms for ea. amp. I've Not used the Yamaha, but I like their stuff. I got along with a Mackie 808m for a long while but lately the Mackie's quality has been suspect. I like the look of the bigger Soundcraft unit too..

• Members

doesn't the Yamaha have a one-knob comp for the first 4 channels? that's kinda cool, at least some adjustment. It's effects probably nicer. both very close. I liked the inserts on the Mackie. The 8600 seems EQ'd sort of fat on the bottom end, even when run flat.

• Members

Great, i'll probably be purchasing it within the next week or so.

I could not see anything on the specs that would indicate the peavey has a subwoofer out. How did you guys (the ones who have/had/have used one) manage to hook up a powered sub to it? Thans!!

• Members

That may be true, but the XR8600 amps are more powerful. They will still apply the same amount of power to each speaker as the Carvin.

SoundMan

True, but you'd have to give up stereo and one monitor mix with the Peavey. You also couldn't run 4 ohm cabinets and monitors at the same time. That may or may not be important.

• Members

I've been using the Yamaha 512 mixer for my 3 piece rock band 2 times a month for over 2 years now and I love it. Weighs next to nothing and I've never had a problem with it. It can run monitor/main or both amps for mains (which is what I do, I use another amp for monitors and an additional amp when I'm using subs.)

I would buy another Yamaha if something happened to this one.

• Members

I've called two different stores and had two different answers.

One store told me i could connect a powered speaker to the peavey and another told me i could not.

A call to peavey told me i could via the front main output. I thought the front main and monitor outputs were powered. Peavey told me they were not and that i could connect a powered sub to the main out in the front, that only the rear speakon connects are powered outputs. I was unable to view the manual from the peavey website.

Can anyone can throw their two cents on this? I'm confused.

• Members

I would agree with the power ratings. Yamaha is one of the more "loose with their specs" companies, IMO. For example, all their speaker responses are -10dB and they've been advertising 2" compression horns for years in the Club series speakers, which is a stretch considering that the generally accepted spec for compression horns is to measure at the exit, which is 1" in the Yamaha's. It's the diaphragm that's 2". Stuff like this makes me take all their specs with a grain of salt.

• Members

I've called two different stores and had two different answers.

One store told me i could connect a powered speaker to the peavey and another told me i could not.

A call to peavey told me i could via the front main output. I thought the front main and monitor outputs were powered. Peavey told me they were not and that i could connect a powered sub to the main out in the front, that only the rear speakon connects are powered outputs. I was unable to view the manual from the peavey website.

Can anyone can throw their two cents on this? I'm confused.

You can connect powered speakers to the line level outputs, which are usually on the front, and unpowered speakers to the powered outputs which are usually on the back.

The manual downloaded fine for me. http://peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/00513220_7.pdf

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I had one of the 8600's for a couple of weeks. It has a very clean sound, but it proved to be unreliable. We tried mine with a 4 ohm load per side. the eq was really difficult to work with and kept spiking and ultimately shutting down. I don't think that an 8 ohm load would do that but that is also not full power. After we hooked another set of speakers to it the eq curve changed and it kept shutting down.

I finally gave it one last try with a microphone at an auction. It shut down on me twice. Maybe I got a bad one, but I really liked the unit. I think that Peavey should think about putting a fan in it to cool down. It looks like all of their newer power amps have fans in them, however this mixer doesn't.

Frank

• Members

You most definitely got a bad one. It's supposed to have a fan in it, maybe that's your problem. It should be able to run all day every day into 4 ohms with no problems.

The good news is, it has a 5 year warranty, unlike the others in this conversation.

SoundMan

• Members

I have a Peavey XR8600 and I've used it for acoustic gigs for about the last year and a half.

I've never had a single problem with it ***knocks on wood***

I find it to be quite powerful and vocals and acoustic guitars have a huge crystal clear CD quality sound with plenty of solid lows, pleasant mids, and pristine highs.

My one complaint about it is...... there's no AUX for effects. So you're stuck with the onboard effects. But I just have a little slapback delay on the vocals and that's all I need so I'm happy. :)

Archived