Confirmation on hooking a CD up 1/8" to 1/4"

• Members

Just need a little help, looks long, but is BASIC Stuff if you just read.

First Mixer: Peavey PV14 Mixer. Have CD Player with headphone out & a line out. Been using headphone out, should I be using Line out? Both are 1/8.

Was using 1/8" to RCA Converter into the Tape In, but then couldn't control anything. Decided I wanted to use it on Channel 1.

Went and picked up an 1/8" to DUAL 1/4" Converter at GC. I was dumb and plugged in BOTH 1/4" into channel one (The guy gave me a dual 1/4" so I assumed I was supposed to use both) of course it didn't work. I then Plugged Just one of the 1/4" Plugs into the LINE Input on Ch 1 and it worked and came out in Stereo.:thu:

On my Mixer, there are 2 1/4" Inputs per channel: One 1/4" Input on Mixer Says LINE and one says INPUT

Is this the way to Use a CD Player on your Mixer? I wanted to use channel 1 so I could use the EQ and test out the knobs on the Mixer which I couldn't do when it was plugged into the TAPE IN.

Also do I just need to get a single 1/8" to 1/4" Cable vs. the 1/8" to (2) 1/4" that I got now?

What the heck is the INPUT 1/4" input on Channel 1 on the Mixer supposed to be used for?

I knwo these are elementary questions and I got it working, but just trying to learn from you experts and pick up some knowledge:thu:

Thanks Guy!

Tex:cool:

Oppps just added:

Just looked at Channels 11 & 12 and they look like Stereo Channels on my Mixer, so maybe I am supposed to Plug BOTH of the 1/4" Plugs Into one of the stereo channels, so in this case mine would be #11.

Also, maybe I could have plugged in the RCA cables into this channel instead of TAPE in and I would have been able to use the RCA Cables to get a stereo sound AND Control the Mixer's parameters like the EQ. What is better to use, RCA of 1/4" cable for a CD????

What is the reason to use this channel and I guess that channel I used is a MONO channel and that si why I only needed to plug in (1) 1/4" Plug?

• Members

OK I just tried using channel 11 and hooking BOTH 1/4" cables from the CD Player using the (1/8" to 1/4 adapter) and there was NO Sound at all! Then I plugged just one in and there was No sound at all????

I proceeded to plug One of the the 1/4" plugs from the adapter back into channel 1 in the LINE Input and I heard the CD. Man I must be an idiot!

Why didn't it play on channel11 using the 1/4"? I though that was a stereo channel. When I used the RCA plugs into the Mixer last time. I used the Tape IN inputs and never tried the RCA's on channel 11.

Thanks

• Members

Probably the easist/best way would be to get a 1/8" stereo plug to 2 rca plug cable from your nearest Rat Shack, plug the 1/8" intothe line out of your CD player and the 2 RCA plugs into the stereo 11/12 L and R jacks on the mixer. Make sure that you press the a/b button down to select the RCA jacks.

• CMS Author

If the cable is a 1/8" *stereo* to two-1/4" plugs, you should use one of the stereo channels on the mixer. What you have now (1/8" to ONE 1/4" plug into a mono channel) is not stereo...there would need to be two signals into either two mono channels panned opposite, or into a stereo channel.

If the CD player has AC power, you may experience hum or other wierd noises depending on the grounding of mixer and CD player and where things are plugged into power. If this happens, a 1:1 isolation transformer between the player and mixer can often solve this completely. PM Agedhorse for info on these.

• Members

I Thanks, but when I plugged in ONE of the 1/4" plugs into the LINE on channel 1, it played in stero out of Both Speakers.

Update:

after reading your replies, it was MONO split into both speakers. I had to plug in BOTH 1/4" into the Stereo Channel of the moxer to achieve True Stereo!

• CMS Author

I Thanks, but when I plugged in ONE of the 1/4" plugs into the LINE on channel 1, it played in stero out of Both Speakers.

If the 1/4" plug was a TS (has one tip, one sleeve contact) it is impossible to get a stereo signal. The fact that the mixer channel is mono makes it doubly impossible. What you have is a single signal being divided (by the channel pan) to L and R outputs. That's "dual mono", not stereo. A stereo signal must have two discrete signal paths through the entire signal chain from device to speakers.

• Members

Thanks! Now I went back and plugged the (2) 1/4" plugs from the 1/8" adapter into th e stero channel (channel #11) on the Peavey and it worked. I didn't have the gain up:rolleyes::poke:

It sounded good. Is the RCA or the 1/4" plugs better for MUSIC? I mean I could use either one on my Mixer so just want to see which one I need.

Also I guess to get stero I use the 2 stero channels. If i use a instrument or MIC I use the Mono channels and plug into the XLR. right.

Thanks

Here is the Mixer:

232568.jpg

Here is Link to BIG PICTURE!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/6/8/232568.jpg

• CMS Author

Thanks! Now I went back and plugged the (2) 1/4" plugs from the 1/8" adapter into th e stero channel (channel #11) on the Peavey and it worked. I didn't have the gain up:rolleyes::poke:

It sounded good. Is the RCA or the 1/4" plugs better for MUSIC? I mean I could use either one on my Mixer so just want to see which one I need.

Also I guess to get stero I use the 2 stero channels. If i use a instrument or MIC I use the Mono channels and plug into the XLR. right.

Thanks

Here is the Mixer:

232568.jpg

Here is Link to BIG PICTURE!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/6/8/232568.jpg

Doesn't matter whether you use the RCA or the 1/4"...inside I'm pretty sure they connect directly together.

• Members

Sounds like you might have gotten a stereo splitter cord.

Ideal is this

1/8" stereo phone plug to your CD player

two 1/4" mono phone plugs to your mixer with one plug in each mono channel or the two plugs in both 1/4" inputs on a single stereo channel. (I use the first in those situations that I want all the sound available, but not in stereo. The latter works in cases where you just want a huge stereo system.)

If by some chance that doesn't work, you haven't pushed the stereo connector in far enough. (Getting the two sides to cancel each other out. Had that happen once. I thought it was broken.)

Good luck.

• Members

to clarify: RTFM.

Each MONO input channel (1 thru 10) has a XLR input for a microphone or DI box, a LINE input that is 1/4" tip sleeve configuration, and an INSERT (NOT input) 1/4" TRS tip ring sleeve configuration. The TRS CAN be used as a stereo jack in OTHER applications. However in THIS application, it is used to BREAK the signal path to send OUT the inputted device's signal to a processor (compressor, individual reverb, ect.) and then return that signal. To do this with just 3 wires, the ground is shared.

By plugging anything into the insert without a returned processed signal, you broke the signal path and nothing was allowed through the channel.

Boomerweps

Archived