confused about power

• Members

I'm getting some new Peavey SP2's soon (500 watts continuous, 1000 program, 2000 peak at 8 ohms). Will I be alright if I push them both with a bridged Crown Microtech 1200 (1300 watts at 4 ohms)? I might end up just getting a qsc rmx 2450 later. I don't wanna overpower them. Any other amp I should consider?

• Members

I'm getting some new Peavey SP2's soon (500 watts continuous, 1000 program, 2000 peak at 8 ohms). Will I be alright if I push them both with a bridged Crown Microtech 1200 (1300 watts at 4 ohms)? I might end up just getting a qsc rmx 2450 later. I don't wanna overpower them. Any other amp I should consider?

Off the cuff, what you're proposing looks pretty reasonable. (That's what, 650 watts continuous available for each box?) A touch overpowered, but not like the guys that think that being able to deliver 4X+ the continuous rating of a driver constitutes "headroom."

The usual rules apply. Be careful. Don't drive the snot out of the amplifier. If you run out of PA, don't try to get more cheese out of the same sack, etc, etc.

• Members

I guess I'm just a little confused because I'd like to give them 500 watts at 8 ohms, and I'd be giving them 650 apiece at 4 ohms

"Giving" them and "having available" are two different things. Your speakers are rated to handle 500W continuous power. It is highly unlikely that you will EVER send 500W continuous from that amp if music is the source material.

Maybe this will help ...

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/poweramps/HOW_MUCH_POWER.pdf

• Members

I guess I'm just a little confused because I'd like to give them 500 watts at 8 ohms, and I'd be giving them 650 apiece at 4 ohms

Just to clarify.. Your power amp is going to see the 4 ohm load (2 x 8 ohm speakers in parallel. ) 650 watts each is what the speakers will get. The power amp sees the ohm load. The speakers see the watt output.

Maybe I'm not really clarifying anything. I can't seem to state this clearly. Oh well.

• Members

Just to clarify.. Your power amp is going to see the 4 ohm load (2 x 8 ohm speakers in parallel. ) 650 watts each is what the speakers will get. The power amp sees the ohm load. The speakers see the watt output.

Maybe I'm not really clarifying anything. I can't seem to state this clearly. Oh well.

The amplifier will recognize the pair of sp2's as 1 4ohm load when ran parallel. Amplifiers are blind, they cant see 2 cabinets:poke:

• Members

Nope, I understand what your saying. Thanks for the clarification!

Archived