SM57 vs SM57 Beta for Vocals????

• Members

I've been using SM58's almost since they came out and although I have no real complaint, I've had a Grammy nominated singer tell me that he always prefered a SM57 for vocals as live mics in that price range.

So, I'm looking at the SM 57 Beta's also and what appeals to me is that they supposedly have a higher output with lower feedback tendancy. I had been singing for too many years before I took some training and have a 'road voice.' I sound cool but don't have the projection that I did "back in the day."

Like to hear some opinions from the lead vocalists out there.

• Members

Chris Squire still to this day uses an SM57 for vocals (without a windscreen)... personally it doesn't do a lot for me, and the lack of a grille makes it more difficult to judge exactly how close to get to it. The Beta 57a is however my vocal mic of choice - if I hadn't already had 3 SM58s (which are almost never used) before I tried one, I'd never have bought them.

• Members

I am not a fan of the SM-57 for vocals, but it will work just fine as long as the windscreen is used. Without the windscreen, the grille mesh gets covered with spit and rusts/gets funky really quickly. It's not easy to replace.

The SM-58, Beta 58 and B-57 are all good vocal mics, but with the B-57, keeping the end clean & free of spit damage is still a problem.

• Members

several years ago the band I was in rented a bunch of stuff to make a recording at home. We got some 57's and some 57 betas. We used them for everything, instruments, vocals, all of it.

that weekend the 57 beta became my favorite mic of all time. Yeah, I know, there are a million better ones for one reason or another. But the 57 beta gave me what my ears wanted to hear.

Your mileage may vary. Rent one and take it for a week or two. swap it out from time to time, maybe set to set. I heard the difference but I wasn't on stage. I think it would perform like a champ but that's conjecture.

• Members

I've thought about using one too because I don't sing very loud and my voice is not very high. Do you guys think a 57 would help pick my voice up vs a 58?

If I put a screen over a 57 would I basically have the same things as a 58? I've heard that, except for the screen the mics are almost identical.

• Members

I've thought about using one too because I don't sing very loud and my voice is not very high. Do you guys think a 57 would help pick my voice up vs a 58?

If I put a screen over a 57 would I basically have the same things as a 58? I've heard that, except for the screen the mics are almost identical.

Ther are similar but not identical. I do not think there will be a significant improvement between the 57 and 58.

• Members

The 57 series mics are very well regarded. One of my favorite lead guitarists that I work with will use nothing else and swears by them.

I do not like them because they are quite unidirectinal, without much off axis capability. I just find you have to be far too precise as to where it is pointing.

If I played a guitar and stood in front of a mic stand perhaps I would consider one. It is interesting that the SH55 I have supposedly has the same cartridge in it, is less directionally demanding and sounds totally different.

I am all over the stage and out in the audience alot. In the old days it was SM48s or SM58s

Give me my AT Elite 4000, Beta 87, EV 767, or Beta 58 anytime.

Each to their own.

Cheers!

• Members

"I do not like them because they are quite unidirectinal, without much off axis capability. I just find you have to be far too precise as to where it is pointing."

That's one of the reasons why I am considering them. I do play guitar and stand in front of a mike stand and want that tight directional aspect. Been doing it forever and know I can keep closer tabs on the 'sweet spot' that way. I also think it will improve my mike technique slightly. Leaning towards the Beta 57 series tho....

• Members

"I do not like them because they are quite unidirectinal, without much off axis capability. I just find you have to be far too precise as to where it is pointing."

That's one of the reasons why I am considering them. I do play guitar and stand in front of a mike stand and want that tight directional aspect. Been doing it forever and know I can keep closer tabs on the 'sweet spot' that way. I also think it will improve my mike technique slightly. Leaning towards the Beta 57 series tho....

You have just confirmed why most guitarists love them.

The Beta versions are NYDM and are just much cleaner, with more gain before feedback.

Cheers!

Archived