laptop on stage

• Members

Hello.

I'm a weekend keyboard player and informatic that would like to bring his laptop on stage. I don't have any need for high quality sound cards, and I don't even need sequencers, loops, arpegiators, performances and so on: all I need is to transform my laptop in a USB-controlled sound module able to play gigs and vst's. How can I do that?

In a few hours of search I found that there are a lot of softwares that are complex and many times limited. Here's what I tried:

Gigastudio3: won't work if not connected to a hardware device or a better sound card.

Chainer: maybe a little limited?

Energy XT2: looks complex but good, but I didn't understand if it is good for my needs.

Ableton Live 7: Same comment as for Energy XT2.

As I said, it's not my need to have complex and complete sw's, rather I need to have something easy and quick to play live and add a new sound library to my keyboards without passing minutes with the mouse.

Is there some one that would like to give me a help in my search?

Also, I saw boxes like the Pro Audio V-machine. I guess there are also others on the market. Is it a better choice? And which product exactly?

Thank you very much. Beppi.

• Members

One of my sons bands uses a Ableton Live on a macbook and a firepod. It does hang up occasionally like olderhorse mentioned so make sure the guitar, bass and drummer know a few songs they can play while you reboot.
:thu:

Mmh thanks to all.

Supposing I make - say - a double boot to have a stable Windows machine, can I use Ableton Live both with gigs and vst's, and without having a GSIF compatible card, or some other hardware?

Thanks again,.

Uh, by the way, Happy New Year :-)

• Members

if you have some computer experience you should be able to setup a completely stripped down setup that will only do what you need it to do and be quite reliable.

somehow folks have lost the idea that these machines are tools rather than "do everything" entertainment devices. maybe those of us that had to use apple IIe's and machines prior to that have a different view than the current crop?

i use computers live, and i cannot afford for them to crash - ever. in the last few years i have not had one computer crash in a live situation, approx 300+ shows. i have had odd things happen but no deal breakers.

strip the comp down. no internet, no anti virus, no spotlight, no widgets, remove ALL software but the ONE software you run. NEVER alter the system drive. test the hell out of it 24/7 for weeks before going live and have a backup plan.

if yiou do these things you can get an old g4/450 to track 16 tracks of 24/44.1 all day and night with no issues, and the thing will boot in 13 seconds.

if you use ableton live, then the machine is ONLY ableton live and doesnt do anything else; just like a "hardware' ableton live

• Members

I agree with you Coaster. We use either an iBook G4 or Powerbook G4 at every gig. Never had a single problem. These computers are set to do exactly what we need them to do and nothing more.

I believe the OP is Windows based. In that case, I also suggest he guts the the system but with Windows you have to really know what you are doing. I am comfortable with Windows, Mac and Linux but I would never even consider using Windows or Linux live in a mission critical situation. This is even more true if I were using Windows to run VSTs. Some of those are soooo process hungry that they can kill even the most capable desktops not to mention laptops.

• Members

if you have some computer experience you should be able to setup a completely stripped down setup that will only do what you need it to do and be quite reliable.

somehow folks have lost the idea that these machines are tools rather than "do everything" entertainment devices. maybe those of us that had to use apple IIe's and machines prior to that have a different view than the current crop?

i use computers live, and i cannot afford for them to crash - ever. in the last few years i have not had one computer crash in a live situation, approx 300+ shows. i have had odd things happen but no deal breakers.

strip the comp down. no internet, no anti virus, no spotlight, no widgets, remove ALL software but the ONE software you run. NEVER alter the system drive. test the hell out of it 24/7 for weeks before going live and have a backup plan.

if yiou do these things you can get an old g4/450 to track 16 tracks of 24/44.1 all day and night with no issues, and the thing will boot in 13 seconds.

if you use ableton live, then the machine is ONLY ableton live and doesnt do anything else; just like a "hardware' ableton live

Yes, I work as a sysadmin and this is exactly what I mean to do :) although device drivers are always a guess, generally it is not impossible to make a very very clean Windows installation on a separate partition, and even ghost it to reset it when needed. I don't exclude also to make a linux installation, with a minimal setup.

For that reason also, I was looking for something simple. I only need a sound generator, I don't need sequencers and thousands of options, out there I only found Cubase clones that do everything.

I'd imagine something where I click "F12" and a preset with a vst chain is loaded on a certain midi channel. Stop.

From your experience, is Ableton the right choice? Is there something on linux also?

Thank you. Beppi.

• Members

ive never used ableton and i really dont know what it does:confused:

i dont really know what you are trying to do? my current guess is create sounds from vsti's?

if so then consider simple freeware standalone vst shells - all they do is load vsti's and that is it. i have a couple different ones to run vsti's on my windows machine; one is an esq1 emulator that is fairly dead on (i have a real esq1 also). i only know how to do this on a pc btw, and i know it works in XP even with full midi support.

anyone do this on a mac?

• Members

Thanks, by teaching me that there are many VST hosts and VST shells I finally landed on VSTHost that appears to be a real little jewel! I already tested many vst instruments and effects and I could even find a free Proteus library and load gigs using Steinberg's Halion!

I think I'll try to make a dual boot with a light version of Windows XP and test how it works.

Beppi.

• Members

I also have some questions about live performance with computer. When playing as a single for some tunes, I really miss the drums and bass (especially with the jazz tunes). At a couple of recent gigs I used my Macbook with software called "Band-in-a-Box" that I had entered some tunes into. This worked ok except it is awkward starting and especially stopping the songs with a mouse. I used to use an electronic drum unit that was great in that I could start and stop it with a foot pedal - but it was very tedious musically (and no bass line).

My questions are: 1) is there any way for me to start and stop this Band in a Box with a footpedal? 2) Is there a better alternative for generating the drum and bass lines? (I can convert these Band in Box tunes into MIDI files if this would help?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

• Members

I also have some questions about live performance with computer. When playing as a single for some tunes, I really miss the drums and bass (especially with the jazz tunes). At a couple of recent gigs I used my Macbook with software called "Band-in-a-Box" that I had entered some tunes into. This worked ok except it is awkward starting and especially stopping the songs with a mouse. I used to use an electronic drum unit that was great in that I could start and stop it with a foot pedal - but it was very tedious musically (and no bass line).

My questions are: 1) is there any way for me to start and stop this Band in a Box with a footpedal? 2) Is there a better alternative for generating the drum and bass lines? (I can convert these Band in Box tunes into MIDI files if this would help?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Check out

www.alienapparatus.com

Their Solo Performer Show Controller is pretty cool and will make things run a bit more smoothly.

Archived