Vocals EFX live signal chain question...

• Members

Howdy LSC, I usually hang in the Amp/Forum, (Yes with the other inmates!)

But my qustion will prolly best be answered here.

I'm "Bruce" in my Maiden tribute, and want to control my effects onstage, Delay primarily.

I already have a rack up there with me for my in-ear system.

I'd like to go Mic/XLR cable into an ART Mic-pre

Pre 1/4 out to Midiverb 4 1/4 in

Midiverb 1/4 out to 1/4 in on DBX Compressor

DBX XLR out to house...

Am I going to run into any grounding/phasing issues?

Basically I don't want to have to buy an effects unit that's XLR in/out, when I allready have the M-Verb.

Or do I have to stash a little mixer back there...

Thanks for any responses!

• Members

What's the purpose of the art mic pre ?

I would use the DBX on the insert of the mixer

Use the midiverb which I own a pair myself into the post fade aux send of the mixer and return either to a dedicated stereo channel of the mixer, allowing you to mix dry with wet signal or a dedicated stereo return on the mixer depending on what mixer you have.

• Members

What's the purpose of the art mic pre ?

I would use the DBX on the insert of the mixer

Use the midiverb which I own a pair myself into the post fade aux send of the mixer and return either to a dedicated stereo channel of the mixer, allowing you to mix dry with wet signal or a dedicated stereo return on the mixer depending on what mixer you have.

Thank you. I was trying to avoid adding a mixer. Basically my mic, to my rack onstage, to the mic input onstage to their mixer. (Effects in the rack)

I was thinking the pre so the Mic would have an XLR to input to... (Maybe warm up the tone a lil...)

• CMS Author

The lack of a balanced connection will result in some loss of signal and therefore decreased s/n ratio, by about 6dB, which could be noticeable.

If by 'control your effects' you mean switch on and off, you can use the Midiverb's footswitch. I'm hoping you don't need to do more than that, as knob-twiddling mid-show wouldn't exactly be in keeping with good entertainment in general, or very "Maiden-esque";) If there's a sound person he/she should be controlling your effects and they should be connected via an aux send from the FOH mixer.

• Members

The lack of a balanced connection will result in some loss of signal and therefore decreased s/n ratio, by about 6dB, which could be noticeable.

If by 'control your effects' you mean switch on and off, you can use the Midiverb's footswitch. I'm hoping you don't need to do more than that, as knob-twiddling mid-show wouldn't exactly be in keeping with good entertainment in general, or very "Maiden-esque";) If there's a sound person he/she should be controlling your effects and they should be connected via an aux send from the FOH mixer.

Yep, that's what I thought, (And was afraid of...: :cry:)

Thee "Big arena" Delay, (I likes 635ms) is usually easy to get...

My Desire would be the Delay repeats in Aces High, and No EFX at all in some of the songs that have a soft/spoken word type intro, Even ducked the delay is not quite "Album" like...

Shy of some Crap pedal onstage I'll have to deal with the house "Default" mix...:cry:

Anybody try one of those TC Helicon Pedals?

Or should I get a Rack EFX unit with "Balanced" XLR in/Out's (Out to the house?)

• CMS Author

Yep, that's what I thought, (And was afraid of...:
:cry:
)

Thee "Big arena" Delay, (I likes 635ms) is usually easy to get...

My Desire would be the Delay repeats in Aces High, and No EFX at all in some of the songs that have a soft/spoken word type intro, Even ducked the delay is not quite "Album" like...

Shy of some Crap pedal onstage I'll have to deal with the house "Default" mix...
:cry:

If all you need is either delay on or delay off, the footswitch works fine.

• CMS Author

Oh I'd control it with a midi pedal for different patches, but I don't want to send a crap signal to the XRL From my effects to the board...

Hence I should look for Balanced out's?

Yes.

But there's an issue with running effects from stage. You can't tell how it sounds from there at all, and the soundguy is powerless to help if it's not good.

• Members

Yes.

But there's an issue with running effects from stage. You can't tell how it sounds from there at all, and the soundguy is powerless to help if it's not good.

Yest another excellent answer:facepalm:

Damn you Red Baron!:cop:

I guess it would only be advisable in a "Sound checkable" show...

You did save me money though! :facepalm:

I'll be a proper frontman and have the audience be the repeats!!

Do your job singer man!:lol:

Archived