crown 802 xls

• Members

I am currently usuing the crown 802 xls amp ran into jbl jrx 125 speakers the epeakers are 4 ohms and the amp isratted 800 watts at 4 amps. The amp clips only when the singer/screamer hits certain notes but I'm not clipping at my mixer. I have the eq's set at 0 the gain is at less than half, the fader is usually riding alittle below 0 and my master fader is at 0. The drums don't clip just the vocals do on the amp can someone please give me advice to help it stop clipping.

• Members

Before you assume the singer isn't clipping at the mixer, have you left his channel pfl'd for a little while, and actually observed it??? Are you using any compression on his channel??? It's not uncommon to use some compression on a singer's channel insert if he's somewhat of a screamer... I'm not saying that's definitely the problem, but it's probably worth taking a look at...

- georgestrings

• Members

Turn things down?

800 watts into those cabinets is headed for major (and expensive) disappointment

Based on the marketed specs for these cabs, that wattage SHOULD be fine. I actually use the same exact setup (speakers & amp) in one of my venues and have had the same problem at times using only moderate volume.

So, my question is, which manufacturers DON'T inflate their power handling numbers for marketing purposes?

• Members

I'm saying that based on my experience servicing such products, especially at the low end ofthe foodchain (which your speakers are), 800 watts is too much power and IMO, they are not realistic over the long haul. It's up to you, but if you don't like the advice, there are other places that will accomodate you better I suspect.

If you need more volume, you need more speakers in addition to the additional power. Power compression is robbing you of probably 50% of any gain you would expect going from 400 to 800 watts. You are exceeding the linear limits of the speakers.

You can turn down or get more speaker. Either will work.

• Members

I'm saying that based on my experience servicing such products, especially at the low end ofthe foodchain (which your speakers are), 800 watts is too much power and IMO, they are not realistic over the long haul. It's up to you, but if you don't like the advice, there are other places that will accomodate you better I suspect.

If you need more volume, you need more speakers in addition to the additional power. Power compression is robbing you of probably 50% of any gain you would expect going from 400 to 800 watts. You are exceeding the linear limits of the speakers.

You can turn down or get more speaker. Either will work.

Not sure if I phrased my response correctly, but I was actually agreeing with you. ;) My experience is that the power numbers on these cabs is pushing it for what they are.

My question was a literal one, not rhetorical. Is there a list somewhere to tell me which manufacturers are known for inflating their numbers and which aren't?

• Members

Yes, I misunderstood your response. Sorry.

No list, it's pretty much based on experience with a large number of products over a long time. Generally, as you move up in a product line, the numbers are more representative but usually it's because the user is more likely to be more careful when setting up and following more reasonable common sense.

This nis why I recommend powering most speakers (for the average iser) at closer to the "RMS" or "continuous" rating.

You might consider a compressor, set with a fairly high threshold and steep ratio like 6:1 to control the scremo vocalist. Just compress on the peaks, looking at maybe 6 to 8 dB of gain reduction when he screams.

Archived