AC Power Testers

• Members

A DI converts a high impedance unbalanced signal into a low impedance balanced signal. It may or may not have a transformer to isolate input from output.

An isolation transformer has a 1:1 input-output ratio, and transfers a low-impedance balanced signal to a low-impedance balanced signal...all it does is isolate the signal electrically so there's no actual electrical connection between input and output.

Electrically there's no difference between an XLR and a TRS...both have 3 contact points so a balanced signal CAN be carried through either. Whether the signal is balanced or not when you're using a TRS depends on the gear. Be sure it's balanced, and not for example, stereo, or a TS connection.

Thanks Craig! I'll do a search to see if I can find one of them things for my tool box.

I (think) I've done everything I can to make sure all of my connections are balanced. All of my gear (except for the effects and 1 EQ) are XLR in/outs and AFAIK balanced. The EQ is balanced TRS. But, from reading here, I gather that I can still pick up a hum. I haven't noticed any issues, but,then again, i don't get around like you guys do!

Thanks again for all the help!

Johnny

• Members

Wait, which things? Isolation transformers? Just PM agedhorse, he sells them. You will likely need more than one.

Yeah, those thingies!

I saw a Proco(?) for about $90(!).

Earlier, when you guys said that Andy has them, I was thinking of audiopile, and went to his website & got confused since I didn't see anything that specifically that said "isolation transformer" aside from the DI's.

I'll check with aged!

Thanks Craig!

• Members

We (Audiopile) doesn't stock isolation transformers. Andy offers a very good, extremely reasonably priced isolation transformer device, and there's no sense for us (Audiopile) to reinvent the wheel... when there's somebody I can refer folks to who already does it better, faster, and cheaper than I could.

You know, I'm not sure why, but I've always mixed the two of you guys up.

Johnny

• Members

Funny, years of dealing with other people's problems will do this to anybody. ;)

Isolation transformers are the tool of pros, too expensive for those guys always looking for "cheap". In fact, a couple are as expensive as some of the bargain mixers or in some cases entire PA's!

It's something we stock and support in the touring and install segments of this industry.

• Members
Funny, years of dealing with other people's problems will do this to anybody.
;)

Isolation transformers are the tool of pros, too expensive for those guys always looking for "cheap". In fact, a couple are as expensive as some of the bargain mixers or in some cases entire PA's!

It's something we stock and support in the touring and install segments of this industry.

you're right, however most cheapo PA guys either don't care about how they sound or are saving for a decent sounding system. Either way ISO Transformers won't be on there immediate purchase list. The average guy who has the basics down with a moderate priced, decent sounding system looking to improve what he's doing. Can benfit from having a couple in there tool box. For those guys the attitude won't be it's as much as my mixer it will be hey it's less then most decent mics

Archived