Power amp RMS vs. Speaker RMS for subs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow....I think the amp RMS wattge vs. speaker RMS wattage question got lost somewhere in the thread, but bascically I see two opposing views. One says a lower powered amp can do damage to a speaker. The other says says a higher powered amp can damage a speaker. Both views I think have merit, but due to my limited knowledge in electrical enginnering, I can only make this simple analysis. It seems to me if an amp is under powered to meet the full output of the speaker, distortion occurs, heat builds up, and the VC is fried. Conversely, if an amp over powers a speaker and causes excursion (we're still talking subwoofers here) then the cone pulls away from the magnet and the leads to the VC are either stretched or torn, the speaker fails. Like I said, with my limited knowledge about the inner workings of a speaker, I can only make these assumptions. It's been very interesting to hear opposing views on this topic. I have always wondered about how to size an amp for subwoofers. Maybe someone could shine a light on that topic.

Thanks guys,

Charlie

I think you covered the bases pretty well.

Archived