mic holder for guitar amp

• Members

We have a couple of the Z bar mic holders. We use them about 20% of the time, otherwise we use a shorty boom for better placment. One of the options is, we have couple of short (like 8") goosnecks that we can extend from the Z bar.

If you're not worried about the cosmetics of your amp, I've seen guys attach a goosneck flange (like you'd see on a podium) to the side of their cabinet and use a mic on a goosneck for the job. This approach does devalue your amp cabinet slightly (having something protrude from the side can make it a little harder to pack sometimes as well) and also provides zero isolation from the box it's self (a similar drawback to the Z bar).

I know this thread is old, just adding some more info to the mix.

Just some thoughts

• Members

I made one using a 2" spring clamp from Harbor Freight (cheap). Drilled a whole in the bottom to fit a 6" gooseneck extension and screwed on a mic holder. I glued cork to the clamp so it wouldn't mar the tolex on my amp. Works great.

• Members

I made one using a 2" spring clamp from Harbor Freight (cheap). Drilled a whole in the bottom to fit a 6" gooseneck extension and screwed on a mic holder. I glued cork to the clamp so it wouldn't mar the tolex on my amp. Works great.

+1

I have 3 of something like this as well. Only mine do not need the gooseneck, and the clamp has a rubber mouth so I don't need the cork. Made one each for two guitar cabs and one for the inside of the kick drum. That one requires the tom hardware inserted into the kick.

Oh, I also drilled a "hole" in mine, not a "whole". :poke:

• Members

+1 Oh, I also drilled a "hole" in mine, not a "whole".

Ha. I type faster than I think.

My original spring clamps had some orange rubber covers over the end and I thought they looked terrible so I tried to paint them black and couldn't get the paint to stick, therefore the cork 'inserts' with good old Gorilla Glue. Never a problem.

Archived