replacing high frequency drivers

• Members

This is purely theoretical question

This is based on a number of threads that I have seen relating to replacing the high frequency driver and getting a far superior sound to what is stock.

Presuming you take any budget speaker cabinet that has been correctly designed for the woofer. Can you always replace the high end driver and crossover with something significantly better and get a better sound out of it? Is this ever more worthwhile than just getting a better cabinet in the first place?

For non sub purposes does the woofer make a huge difference? (presuming that it is powerful enough for the given purpose).

How much of a difference does the horn itself make? If the horn isn't ideal to the situation will replacing the driver really help anything?

• Members

Horn and driver contribute to the overall sound.

Upgrade a cheap box and you still have a cheap box.

Generally it's better if you buy a finished product of the quality level you are looking for to begin with. That way you can listen to the end result and see if it actually does work for you rather than just guess.

• Members

well a few thoughts, ...

First of from a purely personal stand point I might get a lesson very soon in what happens when you run compression driver in horn below their cut off freq. SO yea, .. I will let you now how much that ends up costing me.

I was GOING to say, even crap is designed to work well with itself, but I am not sure that is true. I mean, If someone told me the goal was to build some thing that is functional (ie works), for as cheap as possible, I would toss "quality" out the window pretty fast to get the $ lower.

There will forever be a market for all things.

Archived