peavey SP5 vs. Yamaha S115V

• Members

Like to upgrade from the present Peavey PR15's. I'm driving them with a Crown XLS802. These are used primarily for vocals, but I'd like to have the option to run some drums and/or bass through them. Which would be your pick? With the SP5's being a few $$ more......is there a notable difference?

Thanks.

• Members

I would consider something else. Running drums (especially kick) and bass would be better served having a subwoofer, not upgrading to an SP5. I've heard the PR12's and 15's both for just acoustic duos and solos, and I think they sound great for the price. If that's all you're using them for and still really want to upgrade, you should look at an MRX512 (B-stock for $500 at MF right now) powered by your XLS802. But again, depending on your current application, what is your rationale for upgrading?

• Members

You can run the two PR15's off one channel and use the other channel for subs. 2 to 4 PR-SUBs clustered together would be loads better than what you have now but larger cabs (PV-118's ?) will be 2x better if you don't mind hauling them about. You'd need an active crossover also.

• Members

I believe the SP5's have scorpions and SP2's have Black Widows which may make the 2's better for drums.By adding at least one good sub(with crossover)with your present speakers might be a good option.I bet a pair of either SP's over a pair of SP118's would be better.I have the Yami's over subs.

• Members

I would bet they are better too, but the resale on a PR15 is not going to be much. The amount spent on upgrading to a pair of SP-2s really doesn't seem worth it IMO, upgrade to something that really is a noticeable upgrade.

• Members

SP2's are like IBM down here - no one ever got fired for going with SP2's :p

We had a pair of SP5's and then traded them for SP2's. Both have worked fine but the SP2's are a good bit bigger and sound bigger and you can run kick and bass through them, no problem. Just don't expect it to sound like you have subs when you don't.

You can put kick and bass through the SP5's too (or probably your PR15's for that matter) but they're not going to sound as full and you're not going to get much 'kick' out of them - don't go crazy trying to boost the lows to compensate though or you'll muddy things up and/or blow them up.

As advised above, you may be happier just adding subs to what you've already got. Rent or borrow some and see what you think.

• Members

I've had the chance to do a back-and-forth comparison between the SP5 and our usual EV T53s during a jazz chior concert.

To me, the SP5s sounded really distorted in the lows, even with a low voice. Fortunately, the director likes that sound, so we were good (until I realized half the room wasn't covered right; that's another story).

They're decent speakers, but I fear were just not up to the task of covering our 800 seat auditorium. They did their solos through the house system which, in my opinion, sounded much more natural.

Archived