• Members

Looking for comments from those with experience using the EV Zx-1 speakers.

My primary use would be for solo or duo coffee-house type stuff -- just vocals and acoustic guitars.

I would also like to try them as monitors (vocals only) in a 4-piece rock-and-roll band (roots rock, no metal) that plays mostly small clubs at reasonable (or what I would subjectively consider reasonable) stage volume. Seems like a lot to ask from an 8" LF driver, but, according to a number of threads over at PSW, people do use them for this application.

Would likely power them (1 per side) with a PLX 1602 or RMX 1450.

I know there are other options, but I have an opportunity to grab a clean used pair of the Zx-1s for what I believe to be a fair price ($400 for the pair, with EV cases). But, if there is other stuff that you would highly recommend, please let me know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Members

Agreed. Used as monitors in 5 pc rock band with V-drums and they worked well, especially in pairs as monitors on each side of you.

As mains they don't throw very far, but I don't suppose you'll be covering giant areas with them. They'll be more than adequate for a coffee house in both output and throw. I would be sure and pass them around 100 Hz to keep unneeded low frequencies out.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I gave a pair of Zx-1s a brief workout today (in a Best Buy MI shop!), and was impressed. Those little babies pack a pretty good punch for such a small package, and sound very nice.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Archived