Touring solo/duo artists: best / cheapest mode of travel?

• Members

Touring solo artist here - trying to slash my travel (and especially lodging) expenses on the road. Just got back from summer tour, and upon completing my bookkeeping, realized that I am losing significant portion of my gross $ to travel expenses. (My net was less than half of my gross profit.. after all marketing, merchandising, travel expenses..)

What do your travel expenses look like? (Per day/ Per mile/ Etc...) - Gas? Lodging? Food?

What kind of vehicle do you travel with? (Do you own or rent?)

What do you do for:

Lodging?
(Hotels? Friends houses? Airbnbs? Vehicle that you can sleep in?

Showers?
(If you sleep in a vehicle..)

Food?
(I travel with a cooler.. keeps groceries cold (the airbnbs have fridges/freezers, so I can freeze Keep food cold, and ice packs to use in the cooler overnight etc))

So far generally stuck with rental cars (sedans) - out of concern for reliability / avoiding breakdowns, getting stranded If / when my own vehicle breaks down...

Thinking I definitely need to get away from sedans - way too fatiguing to drive in a small vehicle so low to the road all day.. So maybe a van or SUV. Challenge then becomes finding one that's not a total gas guzzler

Your insight is greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

IMHO, rental cars would not be my go-to. The per diem plus mileage likely kills any potential benefit as far as reliability. I suppose the cost is deductible as a business expense, but the tradeoff against your net income is likely not worth it.

Truck stops usually have showers.