Yamaha EMX512SC Question

• Members

I am currently using this system for a karaoke show and I seem to be having a problem with the mics feeding back alot. I have tried everything and I don't know what else to try. I've turned the compression down, I've placed the speakers far enough in front of the mics, and I've even turned the effects down. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :poke:

• Members

Hi I originally posted this under Harpua. I am using Shure SM58 wired microphones. Do you think they're picking up too much. I also have some Electro voice mics that I can use instead. Would this be better?

• Members

Sm58 are good mics for live, very low risk of feedback.

if gain or level is too high, you'll have feedback with any mics.

With an eq you can limit feedbak, or take a feedback destroyer

• Members

I believe yes rocket science would be a little much however, I've tried everything I know and since the PA doesn't come with a 31 band eq or maybe I'm a little inexperienced with eq. A little extra effort in the help department is requested. Tell me what the eq may need to look like on the mixer in order to help me out with this.

• Members

It's a Yamaha Powered mixer. I don't think it has a gain or a trim knob--just a pad switch. I have almost the same box and mics. Try this: Turn the compression down or off. Turn the effect down or off. High-set to 1:00. Mid--set to 11:00. Low--set to 10:00. Now set the EQ sliders on the right hand side to a gentle "V" shape. The middle sliders should be cut. Nothing should be boosted.

This will get rid of 99% of your problems. If it's still feeding back, you're running it too loud, your room has bad reflections, or you have mic placement issues. Make sure the backs of the mics stay pointed at the monitors if you have any. You didn't say if the feedback was in a mid or a high frequency, but most likely it is mid, so what I suggested should fix the problem. If it's in the highs, the problem is the compression or the effects. Two more things--make sure you're not confusing monitors and main channels, and if you've got novices holding the mics, remind them not to point them at the monitors. I was playing a frat party one time and a girl grabbed my mic to make an announcement. The first thing she did was point it right at the monitor.

Archived