Balanced or Un for 1/8 end of to dual 1/4 TRS balanced?

guitargo25

• Members

just picked up a pair of Rockville AMP8" monitors. 
For now, I can use them to play youtube music with my printer's USB cable but I can't also play synth/guitar to them using my Roland Duo Capture interface. 

The speaker connections are: USB, RCA (duo capture doesn't have) and 'Balanced XLR/TRS'

I have a HOSA CMP Stereo Breakout 1/8 TRS, 1/4 TS but it doesn't work I think because the 1/4s are TS not TRS. (someone told me to buy this cable to plug R and L from synths into the Duo Capture's 1/8 Line In. The Duo Capture also has a 1/4" mic/guitar in with a hi-z button on the back and also buttons Input Monitor and Input Gain. 

I'm running the electric guitar first to a BOSS ME-80 multi effects and running that mono out 1/4 to the 1/4 on the Duo Capture using just a regular patch/guitar cable. 

please link something cheap but good on ebay that I need to connect the Duo Capture out to the speakers and hear youtube music and my instruments. thanks.  

• Members

well it turns out a quick google search says balanced vs unbalanced (for my 1/8" plug) that basically balanced is less likely to have noise interference but both should work but basically always buy balanced if you can. 

But I simply can not find what I'm looking for on eBay. 

From the manual https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/content/Manuals/APM_Manual_HR.pdf

says you can use either a balanced OR unbalanced 1/4 for R and L inputs as long as it's TRS. It says if it's Unbalanced then the jack will automatically convert the Ring (R) to ground (I guess for less chance of noise interference for it not being a balanced cable)

Ok but I can't find this cord, only with TS plugs. 

It can be balanced or unbalanced Right and Left 1/4 TRS, preferably balanced, and the other end should be balanced 1/8 male (trs or ts, I don't know but I think TRS should work either way, no?

There's also XLR input, so maybe I'll just buy this dual R and L balanced XLR to a 1/8 TRS ?

But maybe if I get the other 1/4" plugs if I can even find it, I can maybe use it for other things like my R and L out from synthesizer into the 1/8" line in on the audio interface. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155420761469?hash=item242fcc9d7d:g:cPEAAOSwIIxj~huI&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0MpGmH7OkbTIQqGyaNkQSVmFgsdeSsAZcpVHjCWy%2BZ2hXGgcJ0LlBppkITFSGzDbXDSohGUE7HWhNt0tzXqvD2hueJaPbounSscfA%2FHB6t3mgJIdMpA1KYriqrNKB64A21ixvy9%2BgyhhYFWg7v%2F9KhierpLDGFFORPwuAOuQs9nghgSpatneEhPFrYKnIylOTnGH45Zoabhn4Xz%2F4jBY2l5MqHZk1DyX8qLjV4mMYIWDDxFIGZaDmHvKzNVt3S5QRxoIa9Cabcot8swTgP4xEiQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_Sjt8uHYg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The dual R and L balanced XLR to a 1/8 TRS I bought off eBay for $9 shipped works good, and it allows me to plug guitar/synth to the interface and hear it though the speakers unlike USB'ing the speakers to the PC. One thing to mention with this USB interface if I unplug the headphones it makes the speakers louder too. 

• Members

Actually, this XLR cable is extremely noisy, same when I tried the TS (not TRS like the speaker says on it) dual stereo breakout cable - both make a lot of noise and even tracks when I move the mouse makes a certain noise.

And the Right speaker tweeter keeps clipping or something works sometimes and others it doesn't. I read if a tweeter makes no sound on low volume (clipping shouldn't kick in to 'save' it) then it's blown. It didn't make sound with low volume but does with higher volume but only works randomly. I was close to returning these because they were clearly not OPEN BOX the ebay seller claimed, they didn't even include the original box and the cables were dirty etc, but was a good deal and I figured it they work then ok and I was happy to have something at the moment even if I have to resell for a small loss for something better.

The proprietary cable that connects each speaker to eachother has a metal screw down clamp on the connector ends and one is missing one of the two mini screws so IDK what happened and it seems to make the tweeter work sometimes if I fiddle with the cable a bit, seller hasn't replied but again I'm just happy to have something for now and can sell for a small loss later rather than retuning and ordering something like 2X more because I do want 8" and all the other 8" brands are like 2X more. 

I think I'm going to order the same Rockville AMP8 new through a authorized retailer and then I can warranty is anything goes wrong, I have to ask Rockville also what the heck cable can I use if I can not find balanced TRS 1/4s on one end and a 1/8" on the other from my USB interface, and the XLR cables are very noisy and the only way they sound decent is USB straight from the motherboard but then I can't get my guitar/synths to play through them also that way. 

• Members
19 hours ago, daddymack said:

gg25...try here

It's the same but 'pro version' of what I already have and tried. The 1/4s on that are just TS like the HOSA CMP Stereo Breakout 1/8 TRS, 1/4 TS that didn't work/was extremely noisy. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/c780--Insert_Y_Cables?highlight=CMP153&mrkgadid=&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=&mrkgbflag=&mrkgcat=&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700073385564753&lid=92700073385564753&ds_s_kwgid=58700008069260217&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=1798710459014&product_id=CMP153&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=u&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9004018&creative=625135836145&targetid=pla-1798710459014&campaignid=18467073279&awsearchcpc=&&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Y72qaSl_wIVHCyzAB0A8QXUEAQYASABEgLBn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There seems to not be any made TRS on the 1/4s side, the speaker says right above the jack use balanced TRS or XLR. The XLR didn't work though is also noisy but not as bad as the TS 1/4s. 

Maybe with the shady back story of these speakers they were blown or something, the seller said new open box they didn't even include the box or Styrofoam padding they threw literally ripped up pieces of cereal boxes etc as padding.  I would think the XLR should work, the USB does work though. 

• Members

• Members

welp the RCA cables also give the same horrid noise hum etc as the XLR cables. 

IDK if the speakers are blown by the previous owner or maybe my audio interface has something to do with it. 

normally I'd return the speakers from eBay because the Right tweeter only works sometimes even with low volume I read it should always.

Plus they clearly weren't new open box, they didn't even include the box, cables dirty, seller ignoring messages. But I kept them knowing I might take a loss just because I really wanted speakers at the moment.

I emailed Rockville if have any suggestions about solder repair or something the tweeter and why is sound only clear when using direct USB from motherboard but everything I tried from my USB interface (to use guitar/synth with speakers plus PC music) is causing horrid noise. I mentioned the cable that connects them sometimes it might make the tweeter work if I jiggle the cable, rockville just linked me the $25 cable and it's out of stock So I'm waiting their reply 'what if it's not the cable, any suggestions?'

I may try replacing my USB Audio Interface Roland Duo Capture, I doubt it's this but I could never get audio through it from a synth or electric guitar from a multi FX unit  nearly as clear as directly plugging headphones to either of those. 

Making a thread now about help with if the speakers are blown or what. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, guitargo25 said:

welp the RCA cables also give the same horrid noise hum etc as the XLR cables. 

IDK if the speakers are blown by the previous owner or maybe my audio interface has something to do with it. 

normally I'd return the speakers from eBay because the Right tweeter only works sometimes even with low volume I read it should always.

Plus they clearly weren't new open box, they didn't even include the box, cables dirty, seller ignoring messages. But I kept them knowing I might take a loss just because I really wanted speakers at the moment.

I emailed Rockville if have any suggestions about solder repair or something the tweeter and why is sound only clear when using direct USB from motherboard but everything I tried from my USB interface (to use guitar/synth with speakers plus PC music) is causing horrid noise. I mentioned the cable that connects them sometimes it might make the tweeter work if I jiggle the cable, rockville just linked me the $25 cable and it's out of stock So I'm waiting their reply 'what if it's not the cable, any suggestions?'

I may try replacing my USB Audio Interface Roland Duo Capture, I doubt it's this but I could never get audio through it from a synth or electric guitar from a multi FX unit  nearly as clear as directly plugging headphones to either of those. 

Making a thread now about help with if the speakers are blown or what.

Just return the speakers...they were not as advertised.

• Members
On 6/7/2023 at 9:17 AM, daddymack said:

Just return the speakers...they were not as advertised.

I was going to but then I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt that maybe I blew them when I first started using them blasting drum and bass etc through them at full volume, but from what I read speakers shouldn't really blow from full volume but also that's how you blow them lol so IDK, plus they work fine with USB so IDK the issue, maybe my USB interface? 

I'll probably sell them locally get whatever I can for them and buy new and that way I have warranty etc I can exchange for if it turns out the speakers but that's unlikely.