Any tips for a beginner setup?

t3lespike

• Members

Ok, so, I have this old system called a passport pd250 plus that my dad bought like 15 years ago, and I brought it up to my bedroom and just started blasting music. I dont think the quality is necessairly the best, and the bass could be much better. I listen to a lot of bassy hip/hop and rap. I want to add a subwoofer So I began to think if this receiver/amplifier thing (i dont really know) is holding my system back, because as far as I know, there is no way to straight up hook up sub to the stock receiver. I began looking at receivers online, and figured that I would want an AV one so that I can use the speakers with my PC and whatever else. With a new receiver, Im thinking that I can hook up these passport speakers and buy a sub and hook that up and all will be good. (The speakers are plugged into the stock reciever with a 1/4 inch jackplug)

So my questions:
1. Am I stupid? Will this work?

2. Which reciever should I look into?

3. Which sub should I look into?

Here is a link to the passport system manual: https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf/6/514/51303-fender/pd250_plus.pdf?89b3bba119751fe120ca73658fb59282 

• Moderators

No, you are not 'stupid', but you are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The Fender Passport PA was not designed to provide a lot of power, nor a lot of bass. The speakers are adequate...at best.  You are using this as a 'home stereo'...which was not the intended purpose. Getting a more powerful amplifier, with a sub crossover would help, but the existing speakers are not going to be up to the task. Sell the Passport to someone who needs a low output PA, and start from scratch on a system that will get you what you want.

If all you are looking for is a bedroom stereo that will run with your computer, there are plenty of options....more than I would be able to delineate.