$200 used pair 5-8" studio monitors 12x12" room? Bookshelf Speakers?

guitargo25

• Members

I had ~$200 studio monitors back in 2005 but didn't I use 'em much and sold 'em. I think they were 5" woofers and were plenty loud for me and I guess the bass sounded fine.

What I gather is if you want to hear good bass you need at least 8" but 5-8" is also decent. I thought bigger woofers were basically for more volume but it makes sense you'll hear bass better with a bigger throbbing speaker.

But I'm not crazy about bass all the time, my car stereo I have the treble up all the way and the bass down except if a certain song comes on. In mixes or playing along with stuff I sometimes think bass can make things muddy, but I guess anything under 8" isn't going to sound muddy like a rattling trunk car system from the 1990's, and should be fine for me and for loudness I'll just resist the urge to blast them and annoy the neighbors if I end up with 8" which may get louder than I even need. 

I'm seeing new mackie 5" on ebay for just $180 shipped, behringer for $170, and even Alesis for $120 5", but open to buying used on ebay if can get something between 5-8".

I'm also considering Bookshelf Speakers I just learned about, if they're a better deal for me I'm ok with them being slightly less representative of the true audio. 

If I find a good local deal on facebook/craigslist I'll buy it but I'm not going to wait around and hope to find something that pops up, nor drive farther than it's worth. 

12x12 room, room doesn't have any acoustic padding or anything besides double thick window drapes. I want it for listening to youtube music, and playing things through the computer USB interface like electric guitar, electric drums, synths and listening to loops/tracks with a DAW fruityloops. 

Suggestions for a pair of 8"s I can find new/used for around $200 or maybe Bookshelf Speakers?

thanks

• Moderators