SMall question for new sound System

• Members

:wave:Hello, I have a small question. I need to change the sound system of the community room (kofc) (120-140 people) that currently uses an old (Yorkville Mp6 + 2 boxes noname 15 inches).

They have a small budget ... $ 1300 CAD. I would like your opinion.

I currently have for the Mackie SRM450 V1 CAD $ 499 each

Do you think that would better for about the same price?

Example: Yorville YX15P, etc..

Thank you!

edit: The reason for the change of system is that the boxes are at the end of life and the mp6 have some defect input etc

• CMS Author

Without knowing the noname speakers, it would be hard to judge what constitutes an upgrade.

You might be better off saving more for a real upgrade including a new mixer. Using a powered mixer with powered speakers is somewhat redundant. However you could use the Mackies as monitors until you can replace the mixer and FOH with something significantly better.

The point is that money changing hands and new stuff arriving does not necessarily constitute an upgrade.

• Members

For small venues, I routinely used a rig consisted of 6 SRM450's (2 for FOH and 4 as stage monitors), one JBL SRX728s double 18" sub, and a Mackie 32-4 VLZ Pro board. There was no problem filling an auditorium for an audience of 300 to quite loud levels. The key was to crossover the Mackies at 100Hz so the LF drivers weren't producing lower octaves. IMO you will be fine with the SRM450's used with a sub and a good crossover.

I do want to say one thing. All my SRM450s were either made in USA or made in Italy (quite old). These first and second generation SRM450's used high quality drivers. I did an install for a church with a couple of Made in China SRM450's, as we couldn't find new non-Chinese ones. It was the first time I had used the made in China SRM450's. They just didn't sound right to me, or what I was accustomed to with my SRM450s. Just out of curiosity, I removed a woofer and sure enough, it was NOT the same as in mine. They used different made in China drivers that were inferior in build quality and weighed significantly less.

The made in USA and made in Italy SRM450s, based on my experience, sound significantly better. Of course if you're buying new SRM450s, you'll be getting made in China ones.

• Members

I am not looking for extreme power, but having a better sound than the old boxes of bingo and a few small parties. I will probably have a small sub (PS110P free) for this new kit

I wonder if the mackie or Yorkville YX15P ... or other ...

• Members

I am not looking for extreme power, but having a better sound than the old boxes of bingo and a few small parties. I will probably have a small sub (PS110P free) for this new kit

I wonder if the mackie or Yorkville YX15P ... or other ...

I have a Yorkville NX25P, which looks kind of similar to the YX15P. It's a 12 instead of a 15 but the same brand and power. It makes a decent floor monitor, but doesn't have the output that the Mackie does. For mains, I think you'd find there are times when 200 watts is lacking.

• Members

GCDEF - I have a Yorkville NX25P, which looks kind of similar to the YX15P. It's a 12 instead of a 15 but the same brand and power. It makes a decent floor monitor, but doesn't have the output that the Mackie does. For mains, I think you'd find there are times when 200 watts is lacking.

The rear panel look, and the website "schematics" seem to point to a real similarity between the NX25P, and the YX15P. For the moment at least, I own a pair of the YX15P's and have also rented the NX25P's. The 25P's do well enough for monitors (for casual bar gigs...), and the YX15P's are probably better for FOH (for casual bar gigs...), although I use them for monitors if I use them at all

The YX15P's don't really have enough power to handle a wide variety of situations if you're pushing live music, but the horn does throw quite well for a box at this price point, and considering the limited power.

I've used the YX15P's for public address gigs and was surprised at the clarity and projection. For live music though, they do go into clipping fairly early on. Luckily the limiter works well - I once had a DJ try to blow them up but the on board limiters saved the boxes, at least until I could set him straight!

How about a simple set-up? It looks like you're in Canada, so what about a decent used Yorkville powered mixer (M810 or AP812) for $700+/-, a couple of new or used YX15's (unpowered) for $600 or $700 and call it a day (prices before tax). A system like this would almost certainly sound better than what you've got.

My opinion on the Mackies matches that of a previous poster. Many people would argue that the older Mackie SRM450 boxes have their applications, but it seems not too many would argue that the newer ones have their place.

Good luck.

• Members

Hi! I missed my mackie DEAL for 2 days. So should I change my setup. Having only a budget of $ 1200, I have no choice to remain with YORKVILLE MP6D and change only the speakers..

What is the best

Yorkville NX35

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=22&id=337

NX300

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=22&id=344

YX15 or YX150

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=58&id=350

Other ???

Microh nr15

Microh vs121II

Wharfedale titan 15

Are NX35 the same performance as NX55P I have?

Thank you

• Members

I just used the NX35's last week-end. Four piece band in an old school bar - looked and smelled like the seventies! I had kick, one overhead, bass, guitar and three vocqls into a Yorkville M810. They sounded fine for a bar. The boxes have that NX sound that permeates the whole line - if you like the NX55P's you'll like the NX35's, if you don't.....

Heard of but never seen a YX150. The YX15's probably cost the least, and the max SPL (124) is close to the NX35's (125). Can't comment on the NX 300, but unless it's a misprint the NX300's have a max SPL of 121 which would be a discernable (negative) difference, maybe that's why I don't see many of those boxes around (as opposed to the YX15's).

Try them out, let your ears be the judge.

BTW if you're using all of your budget for mains, consider used (at your local store if you need a short term warranty). I just picked up two NX600's used, for under CAD $800. You could also look at used E15's and so on.

Archived