Mackie vlz 1604 vs. 1642

• Members

IMo, these are meaningful differences:

16 mics inputs on 1604 vs. 10 on the 1642. Depends on the type of band, how many singers, etc. -- more mics inputs might be better, or not necessary.

4 stereo channels on the 1642, none on the 1604. If you do DJ or Karaoke type gigs or use the board as a keyboard submixer, this is really handy. You can pan eight channels on the 1604 to give you 4 stereo, but not as convenient during a live show.

6 sends on 1604 versus 4 on 1642. If you need 4 separate monitor mixes + reverb, you''ll have to get clever on the 1642 an use the sub busses.

1/4" TRS outs on the 1604 vs. XLR outs on the 1642. This is a "WTF were you thinking, Mackie?" for me. I don't want to have to remember to bring TRS to XLR cables or lose them. To me this is the biggest downfall of the 1604.

Having said that, I own both of these mixers, and I almost alway use the 1642 in a live environment.

• Members

The aux sends aren't a true 6 auxes. pressing a switch makes the aux 3/4 turn into aux 5/6. Great for needing a lot of post fade sends (for vocals, drums where one source is entirely different from another to 2+ different verbs).

• Members

If you buy one used, check EVERY function on EVERY channel. The 1604VLZ's had an astonishingly high failure rate in the field. Every one of the dozen or so I installed over a period of 3-4 years finally failed due to all kinds of intermittent connections internally as well as line driver problems, one power supply problem etc.

• Members

You had better luck than I did.

24-4 VLZ Pro: last 8 channels bad. Replaced a PCB.

32-4 VLZ Pro: blown caps on the power supply rectifier

1642 VLZ Pro: intermittent left main out. Had the infamous ribbon cable issue.

another 1642 VLZ Pro: another ribbon cable.

two 1604 VLZ Pro's: two more ribbon cables.

Never had problems with the smaller ones (1202 VLZ Pro, 1402 VLZ Pro). Never had problems with earlier ones before the VLZ Pro series.

• Members

If you're going to buy on eBay, I recommend asking the seller for the serial number of the unit. Then confirm with Mackie whether the particular unit is afflicted with a bad ribbon cable. If so, ask Mackie if they would be willing to send you a replacement cable free of charge.

• Members

I've had a 1642 VLZ Pro for years, used it hundreds of times with no problem. I bought it because it fits into an SKB pop up rack along with 2 single space FX units. I could really use the extra mic pres though. No XLR outs on the 1604? That sucks.

JP

Archived