Need help choosing a SUB

• Members

Hello,

I need help choosing a sub. I will be getting: An Allen & Heath Mixwizard 16:2, a DBX Drive Rack PX, and currently have a pair of Mackies SRM 450s v.1

What would be the differece between and 15' and an 18' sub? Tight vs. Boomy. I do not know. We play more acoustic Latin and South American music. Mostly private events, small performing arts centers, never parks or huge venues.

They have to be actice. Weight (100lbs max) and cost ($1000 range) an issue I have narrowed it to:

1. JBL Prx518

2. Eon 518

3. Mackie SWA 1501

4. QSC HPR151i 15"

5. Cerwin-Vega CVA-115 15"

If you had to pick one, which would you pick?

Thanks for your help.

• Members

My vote is for the PRX. I use MRX518s and I am about to move to the PRX. The MRX version is very easy to move even though it's listed at 72 pounds. The placement of the handles makes it seem much lighter then that. The PRX is only a couple of pounds heavier.

• Members

I use Yorkville LS720Ps with Mackie 450s. It's a good combination. The Yorvilles are fairly small and easy to transport. While they're not the hardest slamming subs out there, they do add a substantial amount of bass given their small size. I'm happy.

• Members

The Yorkville LS720P was designed to match a similar cabinet to the SRM450. It will work well with them. The PRX518 is also a good choice. It is only about 6 pounds heavier. It is however pysically bigger and more expensive. The 518 is probably more sub than you need but I'm sure you would be happy with it. If you are thinking about a singe sub instead of 2 I'd recommend the PRX518.

• Members

I am thinking right now of just a single sub.

Can anyone answer: When would you use a 15 sub vs. 18" ? Thanks.

Has anyone heard a Cerwin Vega or the QSC K bandpass sub?

How does the Eon sub compare with the PRX sub?

• Members

Don't even worry about a speaker being a 15" or an 18". There are many other factors that make one sub sound different from another like box design and build, power handling, efficiency, and the quality of the driver. Not the size of the driver.

You really have to look at the whole picture. Ultimately you have to listen to some subs and see what best fits your requirements.

• Members

The EON518 is not in the same league with the PRX518. The PRX is a much better sub than the EON.

I too A/B'd the EON sub with a LS720P and I thought the LS720P sounded tighter cleaner and was louder.

In general a bandpass box usually is not as defined sounding as a front loaded sub and they usually do not go down as low. It all depends on the sound you are looking for.

• Members

QSC, there is no comparison. I've heard all the rest... QSC has the most focused and clear, non-boomy, bass, versus all of those.

I prefer the PRX but my decision was partially the "look" since I am using my MRX subs with PRX512 tops. Also the weight of the QSC is a factor for me.

I don't think the OP would be upset with either as they both are good subs.

• Members

Mr. Dcastar, "QSC, there is no comparison. I've heard all the rest... QSC has the most focused and clear, non-boomy, bass, versus all of those."

Are you talking about the ksub or the QSC HPR151i 15"

thanks.

• Members

Mr. Dcastar, "QSC, there is no comparison. I've heard all the rest... QSC has the most focused and clear, non-boomy, bass, versus all of those."

Are you talking about the ksub or the QSC HPR151i 15"

thanks.

Between the two I suggest you just listen to them yourself. My experience with the QSC HPR is just the opposite of dcaster. To my ears, the PRX is much cleaner sounding.

The K Sub is a bandpass box but it is closer to the weight of the PRX. It is also only 14" wide. Not sure if that is good or bad but I wouldn't put anything too heavy on a pole above it.

Your ear might agree with either one of us. I really suggest you listen and lift them yourself.

• Members

Recently got a pair of these. http://www.proelgroup.com/proel/en/soundreinforcement/product.jsp?id_prod=12027362459540&id_scat=11625505415560&id_cat=12028306775790 Couldn't be more pleased. We've used them about 15 times so far and we just keep noticing how accurate, articulate/musical, and healthy they sound for such a small box. Very compact, just under 70lbs(they feel lighter yet) and even the lowest notes sound easily reproduced. Definitely happy with them so far. You can get them for about $450 shipped within the US.

Archived