Over-excursion HELP PLEASE

• Members

I guess we're scratching our heads because you've got this collection of gear (not a pa system, just stuff) and no idea how or why you're using it. I can't help you with everything, my fingers are tired and franlky I'm not that interested in really deep involvement of someone elses problems. But...

To power 4 dual 18's...

2 amps in the 1200w per channel @ 4 is a good place to start. It's cost effective, less strenuos on the drivers than 2000 per box, relatively easy to setup and easy on power and amps. What are your tops again? Well I'd match the amps with the same make/model amp as the mid/highs. If you're using the XTi on mid/highs then an XTi4000 would be a good choice. Keep it similar.

BUY a crossover. Not a driverack, not using the XTi settings, buy a real straight up simple 2 way (3way if triamping) crossover. Hell I've got a Rane SAC22 for cheap and they come more simple than that one.

Between the crossover and amps: use the low amps in Parallel mode. The upper amp will be Left, the lower amp Right. Connect the amps to the crossover using ONLY XLR cable to the Left Low and Right Low (NOT MONO SUB out)

X-over High out to the High amp.

Mixer --> EQ --> Crossover --> amps (Left/Right High, Left/Right Low)

That's it, no BBE, No mic pre's, aural exciters. EQ must be a dual 31 band using Left and Right for channels 1 & 2on the EQ. Left is ALWAYS 1, Right is ALWAYS 2. In fact, get in the habit of Left channels being ODD numbered and Right channels being EVEN numbered, this works for DI inputs, mics, EQ's, Amps, all sorts of crap.

Good luck with it all. Ignore the Peavey wattage rating and just focus on getting this stuff right. There is no reason to "give" these speakers 4800 watts, it's no practical for your (or my) situation. If you decide this is the way to go please save money for recones. Start now, start early and don't plan on sending the kids to college.

• Members

I am not afraid to admit my lack of knowledge but why knock me b/c of it. If you cant offer any advice then please save your time. i am trying to learn. dont forget you were i was at one time.

Don't take it personally... It's just that it seems there is post after post about overpowering and hurting / destroying speakers. Your post kinda falls right in line.

• Members

You set the crossover to "sub"? What does that mean? What about the parameters of the filters???

If you spent a little time searching the forum on this topic, you will see that this has been discussed time and time before.

Spend some time doing a little research here and you might find a better and more productive way to ask your questions, and not by quite so thin skinned with the answers you get.

• Members

Understandable. i have done some research and have spoken with peavey and it sounds like i need to get them processed and not just on an xti crossover. I have been a dj for several years and i am seeing that live sound is gonna be a whole different ballgame. I am gonna try them on a crossover with the frequency of 40-125. Thanks for all of your answers and help.

Archived