Way too loud....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny this topic should come up as i recently had a case where i struggled with stage volume.

The venue i worked out was small. A stage just about big enough to fit a five piece comfortably and a capacity of 150 with the stage only one step higher than the dancefloor.

We were running a bit late so i just checked whatever instruments were ready first, which i think was in the order of 2x Guitars, Bass, Vox and drums last (as he was sorting out cymbals + stands). Guitars were incredibly loud and i told them (sternly!) to whack them down a fair notch and got them to a good level on stage / desk.

After all this was done we had about a minute to quickly run through a verse/chorus before the doors opened.

Little was i expecting THE LOUDEST DRUMMER, SNARE DRUM AND CYMBALS IN HISTORY! Immediately my trust from the band was lost as the main vocalist wandered out front to hear nothing but a wash of cymbals. I then had to do swallow my pride a wee bit and back track on amp volume levels

What the hell can do you in this sort of situation?
Tell the drummer to play quieter? - asking him to change the way he has played forever in five minutes isn't going to happen!

I then had a very difficult decision on stage volume levels vs monitor mix levels. Our monitor rig is average (three Mackie SRM450). They are harsh in the top end and get really mushy if you try and push too much through them. In similar situations in the past i have tried lowering amp stage levels and whacking a bunch in the monitor to compensate but this had a detrimental effect on the clarity of the vocal in monitor and generally turned to mush.

In the end i plumped for a reasonably high stage amp volume with just vocal in the monitor. Wasn't too bad in the end i suppose. It was a bit too loud but the band where satisfied with stage mix and crowd satisfied with FOX mix.

Anyone else ever had similar troubles in small venues / LOUD drummers?

Archived