peavey vsx 26?

• Members

I have Peavey SP2 and 218's for mains (the kind with the gray grills), and was just wondering if getting a peavey vsx 26 processor is really worth it? It would have to be down the road, but I have a crossover, eq's (used on monitors), gates, compressors (used on a couple vocals, but not always), and a Mixwiz board...basically a full system...would it be worth it to add that, or would it be a step sideways?

• Members

IMHO it would be a good idea to pick it up.

Driverack PA or 260 would also be in the same ballpark. Just remember to RTFM! Then come back here and read up on Agedhorse's posts on how to set the gaiin structure. There's some discrepancies in the manual at the end.

• Members

Then come back here and read up on Agedhorse's posts on how to set the gaiin structure. There's some discrepancies in the manual at the end.

They are not discrepancies ... they are his "opinion". The engineers at DBX have a different one.

Either one can be the right answer ... it depends a lot on how you mix. One offers more performance and one more safety.

• Members

I have Peavey SP2 and 218's for mains (the kind with the gray grills), and was just wondering if getting a peavey vsx 26 processor is really worth it?

If you are going to tri-amp your speakers then the answer is a big yes (using the factory preset). If you are only bi-amping then you probably won't hear much improvement. You will pick up some extra safety as the limiters are correctly set for your speakers.

• Members

we're bi-amping right now, but it might be possible to tri-amp, we have the amps. I don't really have the scratch for the vsx right now, I was just thinking about possibly in the future.

• Members

They are not discrepancies ... they are his "opinion". The engineers at DBX have a different one.

Either one can be the right answer ... it depends a lot on how you mix. One offers more performance and one more safety.

In the real world, my opinion is well documented.

Set the gain structure as they describe, hook a scope up to the output of the power amp, and drive the system to the point of output limiting and look at the aveform on the amp... it's CLIPPED because the drive electronics are clipping. The limiters can not and do not work. Period. The signal is clipped before the limiters can do their job.

I've done this and I still can't believe DBX hasn't changed their approach. Their (Harman-JBL) powered speakers do not suffer from this, their gain structure is set up internally EXACTLY as I recommend.

• Members

would it matter what amps I'm using? I'm using a Peavey gps 3500 for the subs (run stereo, 1200 watts/side), and Crown MT1200 for the tops (piggybacked so 650 watts/side). I know, I wanna upgrade the Crown to something I can run stereo and be at a good wattage for the speakers. That's another thing on the list.

• Members

Piggybacked? What does that mean?

bridged, basically. Plugging one banana end into the output, then plugging the other one into that, and running one to one speaker, the other to the other

• Members

Piggybacked has absolutely nothing to do with bridged mode operation.

Nothing wrong with running your amp that way as long at it's kept clean so it doesn't thermal, and your speakers can handle the power safely. That means clean the inlet filters on the front of the amp.

Archived