Power conditioner

• Members

Any pics of the finished product?

not the greatest pic

2960701080026985969S600x600Q85.jpg

thats my 'emergency' 15a twist with a 6' 12/3 cable on it. i dont use it often but it lives in there for when i do need it. also you can see a duplex on the front panel for FOH run if need be or the odd wireless receiver. i'm not %100 happy with this setup but it works fine and i dont need to replace it yet.

does that help?

i also use another series of amp racks (different owner) each with 3 quads in it, each quad intended for a different circuit (duplex would have been fine in this case)

if you get much more complex needs than this simple type of setup there are more complex arrangements that are a lot more elegant and expensive but a bar band rig can live on quads.

edit - that cable may actually be 14/3. seems small for 12/3

• Members

Will it then be UL approved? I ask this because of liability, insurance, and L&I job site compliance issues... if any of that stuff is a criterion issue... might be, might not.

good question. i've had city electricians come look at my stuff and they didnt say anything was wrong even when i asked if it met code. i'm sure there are locations that it would not meet code but those locations would likely not be applicable to rigs of this nature.

• CMS Author

good question. i've had city electricians come look at my stuff and they didnt say anything was wrong even when i asked if it met code. i'm sure there are locations that it would not meet code but those locations would likely not be applicable to rigs of this nature.

The short answer is "no". It won't meet UL requirements and is therefore also not NEC code compliant.

But the bottom line is whether an inspector will leave you alone. From my bit of experience knockout boxes on portable cable seem to cause inspectors to balk. "Outdoor" cast boxes seem to get a pass. The irony of course is that neither box is UL-listed as a portable device. I suppose that since the cast box won't be likely to get holed by simply banging again a sharp sticklike object, it gets a pass.

Archived