Sub connection help!

• Members

I'm going to be picking up my new Yorkville 720p sub today and I want to try it out tonight. The club we are playing at has most of it's own PA, however...no SUB. So I'd like to try the 720p with their system. We do our own sound at this club and I've never hooked up a sub before. Is there any basic help you guys can give me to get it up and running without hurting anything(my sub or there PA)? I understand there may be specifics that I simply don't know about the current system that may be required in order to get it working. If that's the case I'll simply wait until tomorrow for our next show with my own system.

To other Yorkville sub users, what do you suggest I set the cross over at-freq. wise as a starting point?

PA system is your basic setup- mixer, powered by a powered amp. Running to two FOH speakers and a few monitors. My sub is powered, is there a generic output on the board that I should send the sub signal from that is ALWAYS safe. I don't know what their board looks like to give an example.

What issues do I have to worry about when hooking up a powered sub?

I understand I'm not giving you much to work with but it's worth a shot. Again I can always just wait until tomorrow night.

Any help would be great.

• Members

Depends what you're working with. That sub takes a speaker level signal, so the easiest thing may be if their mains have a pass through connection, just to run a speaker cable from a speaker's pass through into the input of the sub. Just make sure it's set to accept a speaker level signal.

A mono out or a line out from the mixer would be good too.

Set the crossover around 90 to start.

• Members

Thanks, i'm about 95% sure that the FOH speakers don't have a pass through signal. In addition, I only have ONE sub, I didn't get two yet. Just trying out the yorkville for now.

Which means I should just go from the MONO out on the board, correct? If that's all I have to do, should be pretty easy.

Thanks for your quick response!

• Members

Since i'm going to run a 1/4" chord from the mono output on the mixing board(non powered signal) to the sub. Do i set the sub speaker to "line level" rather then "speaker level?" Line level means-sub will power itself and speaker level means power coming for a source other then the sub? Am I correct? I'm stupid and manual doesn't make sense to me.

Also on the sub itself it has a HF dial, 90-150- i'll start off at 90 (all the way to the left)- what will the "Boost" level dial do? Does that just change the tone of the sub?

Thanks

• Members

Since i'm going to run a 1/4" chord from the mono output on the mixing board(non powered signal) to the sub. Do i set the sub speaker to "line level" rather then "speaker level?" Line level means-sub will power itself and speaker level means power coming for a source other then the sub? Am I correct? I'm stupid and manual doesn't make sense to me.

Also on the sub itself it has a HF dial, 90-150- i'll start off at 90 (all the way to the left)- what will the "Boost" level dial do? Does that just change the tone of the sub?

Thanks

Your sub is a powered sub, so it will be powering itself regardless of the type of signal it receives. The sub needs to know what type of signal you are sending it so as to adjust itself accordingly. It is very important that you set the sub to accept the proper type signal.

If the signal is coming directly from a mixer (or a CD player or tape deck for example) it is considered line level. (very weak signal that needs to be amplified).

If you are connecting the sub to a passive speaker that is being fed by an amplifier, then this becomes a speaker level signal. It is important to understand that a speaker level is MUCH MUCH stronger than a line level (since it has been amplified by an amplifier to power a speaker).

When set to line level, your sub knows it will be receiving a weak signal and is set to amplify it accordingly. When set to speaker level, the sub expects a very strong signal, and again will adjust itself accordingly.

Feeding the sub a speaker signal when it is expecting a line level signal can be dangerous and possibly cause damage. Essentially, it will end up amplifying an already very amplified signal... Most likely a very loud distorted sound will be produced...

Be careful. :thu: Don't expect extemely strong bass from a single 720P in a club situation. It will make a difference, but it won't rattle any walls. The boost frequency basically applies a slight boost to a certain frequency. the lower the frequency you select, the quicker your sub will limit. 75hz is a good place to set it. As for crossover freq., 100hz is a good starting point.

Best of luck,

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I finally got to try out the sub this weekend. It was good but not amazing. It really made the kick drum punch and did fill out the sound a bit. It was a great improvement on just having our EON's providing the bass. But like many said, it wasn't rattling. I had a few more questions that came up as the weekend went on:

How do I set up the level of the kick drum in regards to the sub? Do I set the level on the mixer input or sub itself first? What does the "clip" light mean. Do I want the light to flicker on when the kick drum is hit hard? Or is that like a digital clip and I never want to see it?

Right now, I mic vocals, guitar, snare and kick drum. I noticed when I hit some low notes on the guitar it came through the sub and made my guitar sound really boomy and not good. I had the crossover set at around 100, shall I drop that all the way down to 90 as the crossover? Or do the experts have a better way to deal with that issue? Is it avoidable? I only notice the guitar coming through the sub, the vocals and snare were fine- no boomy sound. Kick drum seemed to come a bit through the FOH, but not very bothersome.

Again, I fully understand these are probably stupid questions but I'm trying to learn as best I can.

thanks

• Members

Powered speakers these days usually have some sort of signal processing in them. I'm not familiar with the Yorkvile line as they aren't sold in this area. Most that I have used have some sort of internal limiting, so check the manual that came with it. Chances are that the light you see flashing indicates the limiter kicking in rather than a clip. If thats the case and you can't hear an audible difference, then you can hit those lights pretty good. But again,----> READ THE MANUAL! But in all honesty it takes a pair to make a significant difference in a club situation. And that doesn't take into account the placement of the subs.

• Members

Yellow light = the limiters are actively limiting the signal to protect the driver. It's OK for this light to be blinking once in a while but should certainly not be on all of the time. Red light = clip. I have never seen this light illuminate on my NX55Ps, but if it does, it means you are feeding the box way too much signal. Bring down the mixer signal a bit.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Thanks-

Any suggestions on the guitar low end coming through the sub? Is that normal? I'm not playing in drop D but standard tuning. Any ideas on cleaning up the low end coming from the guitar? I'll try dropping the crossover to the lowest setting of 90 and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

• Members

Thanks-

Any suggestions on the guitar low end coming through the sub? Is that normal? I'm not playing in drop D but standard tuning. Any ideas on cleaning up the low end coming from the guitar? I'll try dropping the crossover to the lowest setting of 90 and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Crossover at 90, low cut filter on any channels you don't want in the sub.

Archived