Band didn't want to use p.a.

• Members

We did a battle of the bands last night at the county fair. The p.a. i took was 2 EV QRX 212-75 per side (4 total) and 2 EV QRX 218 subs in the center. All powered by Lab Gruppen fp6400 amps, dbx driverack pa, soundcraft, blah blah blah. Rig sounded great. We did 12 bands in 3 1/2 hours. About half way through the battle, the singer of the next band came up to me and said he didnt want to go through our p.a., he said, "every time we go through a p.a. that's not ours, there some sort of delay problem. He brought his own p.a. I said "what?", then he told me "don't worry, it gets pretty loud." So I talked with the promoter and he said if he wants to, let him. He brought a HOME STEREO! home stereo speakers, sub, and receiver. WTF? Anyways, there was no volume, so I put a 57 in front of the mid woofer in his stereo speaker and amplified it. I don't understand bands sometimes.

• Members

We did a battle of the bands last night at the county fair. The p.a. i took was 2 EV QRX 212-75 per side (4 total) and 2 EV QRX 218 subs in the center. All powered by Lab Gruppen fp6400 amps, dbx driverack pa, soundcraft, blah blah blah. Rig sounded great. We did 12 bands in 3 1/2 hours. About half way through the battle, the singer of the next band came up to me and said he didnt want to go through our p.a., he said, "every time we go through a p.a. that's not ours, there some sort of delay problem. He brought his own p.a. I said "what?", then he told me "don't worry, it gets pretty loud." So I talked with the promoter and he said if he wants to, let him. He brought a HOME STEREO! home stereo speakers, sub, and receiver. WTF? Anyways, there was no volume, so I put a 57 in front of the mid woofer in his stereo speaker and amplified it. I don't understand bands sometimes.

Did they win? I'll bet he loves the way CDs sound on that system so he figured they could sound just as good live. I give you props for trying to amplify them anyway. I would have shut my system down so they can use theirs. My dad always said, "be careful what you ask for because you might get it". I would have let them have just what they wanted.

• Members

Did they win? I'll bet he loves the way CDs sound on that system so he figured they could sound just as good live. I give you props for trying to amplify them anyway. I would have shut my system down so they can use theirs. My dad always said, "be careful what you ask for because you might get it". I would have let them have just what they wanted.

Yeah!

But I could see the problem with that from the SE view.

Everyone would look toward the FOH, and wonder why are you doing such a bad job mixing them.

• Members

I probably would have tried to reason with him and then depending on what the event manager wanted would probably turn off my rig and let him do what he wants. If it's a battle of the bands then I'll let them suck out loud (or not loud) before I try to somehow makeshift a way to amplify their home stereo and make it sound like I'm doing a bad job. If they don't want to let me do my job I won't

• Members

Yeah!

But I could see the problem with that from the SE view.

Everyone would look toward the FOH, and wonder why are you doing such a bad job mixing them.

That is a great point (and probably why I'm not a sound provider). That can get frustrating.....

• Members

It doesn't matter where you place the mic on a Marshall Stack. We all know they're stage props and that the guitar cable really runs to a small quality amp backstage. Note that there's nothing plugged into the front of the head.

• Members

Every time I see this picture I have to point out...

It's photoshopped!! and for no apparent reason. In the original photos there are two mics, one on the head the other on the cab, if you look down the left side of the cab you can see the cable disappear into thin air, and the cable to the current mic has a drawn in section.

• Members

Yeah...how did they do!?!

Oh..and the mic'ed amp is priceless...even if photoshopped. :thu:

• Members

There is an old saying that fits the OP's situation:

"Sometimes the best way to convince a fool is to let them have his way."

I would have turned off the FOH system, and walked away to get a beer, snack, etc. This is why sometimes I carry a large sketch pad and leave impromptu signs or disclaimers for my problem clients.

Notable examples:

"Yes, I know it is too loud. I shut the PA off two songs ago......"

"Yes, I know what all the knobs do."

This event would have warranted a sign like this:

"My 10kW PA system - $25,000+;

Joe Guitar-slinger's home stereo - $1,000;

Watching some joker try to amplify his band in front of 200 people with a home stereo while I watch the disaster happen: f--ing priceless."

• Members

There is an old saying that fits the OP's situation:

This event would have warranted a sign like this:

"My 10kW PA system - $25,000+;

Joe Guitar-slinger's home stereo - $1,000;

Watching some joker try to amplify his band in front of 200 people with a home stereo while I watch the disaster happen: f--ing priceless."

:)

• Members

I understand the worries that occur when someone else is controlling your sound. When someone else is at the controls, bite your tongue and pray they know what they're doing.

I just want to understand. Are you defending a band that preferred to use a home stereo for PA because they apparently didn't trust the sound provided by the supplied PA that all other bands were using?

They were morons, plain and simple. If they were just artists and concerned about the integrity of their sound, I doubt if they would use a home stereo.

Archived