Opinions on the EVH 5150 Series Deluxe

eddiesheppard

• Members

Just started taking lessons. I have 2 inexpensive guitars. One is a Jay Turser Electric and one is an Mitchell Acoustic/Electric. Both from Guitar Center. Paid about $200 each. My teacher is fine with me learning on them however, I was thinking something a little better would be good. I really like the EVH 5150 Series Deluxe.  Chet Atkins once said, and I am paraphrasing, "one of the biggest mistakes new players make is not investing in a quality guitar"  What do you think ???

• Moderators

There is a reason there are inexpensive guitars, and that is to let you learn what you don't like....

To Chet's point, so many unplayable guitars were on the market in the old days with 'cheese slicer' action. Times have changed though, and an inexpensive axe, like your Jay Turser or Mitchell is more than adequate to learn on. You are on the correct path. Be patient. Let your instrument take you as far as it can. Once you reach a certain level of competency, you will know if the instrument is holding you back.

As to opinions on specific models? No, only you can make that call as far as what works for you. The EVH 5150 Series Deluxe is a very good guitar, but how will it feel in your hands? I can't tell you.

On the flip side, how many closet/attic/underbed 'treasures' are there from people who buy expensive guitars and then decide learning to play is to hard/painful/time consuming? Plenty...and they come to light frequently.