Keyboard picks up radio stations.

• Members

Something in the keyboard @ church is picking up radio stations. I've tried switching DI's, cables, circuits, snake channels, board channels, even the outputs on the keyboard (line vs headphone). Nothing eliminates it. I believe I've had the same problem at the same place w/ an electric guitar amp, but it's been quite a while, so I could be remembering things wrong.

Any thoughts on how to go about troubleshooting and correcting the problem? I forget what model it is right now, but I want to say it's a Triton.

-Dan.

• Members

While others may chime in with things to check on the keyboard, I can tell you our church and several others discussed about a year ago here and found a common culprit - do you by chance have a hearing-impaired system with a large inductance loop servicing the sanctuary? I know of at least three people who 'solved' radio-in-an-instrument by either turning off the system or twiddling with the loop placement.

• Members

Check the channel (PFL) without the XLR line plugged into the snake, and without the snake plugged into the console. Eliminate items.

Then if there's noise & RFI with the snake but not the console, the problem may be with the snake, but try terminating the line with 2.7k ohms before assuming the snake channel is bad. You are using a shielded 1/4" line and have the capability to ground lift the DI right?

• Members

No, there is no hearing-impaired system.

Check the channel (PFL) without the XLR line plugged into the snake, and without the snake plugged into the console. Eliminate items.

Then if there's noise & RFI with the snake but not the console, the problem may be with the snake,

I'll take another stab at it, but I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the keyboard itself.

but try terminating the line with 2.7k ohms before assuming the snake channel is bad.

How would I do that?

You are using a shielded 1/4" line and have the capability to ground lift the DI right?

yep.

-Dan.

• Members

I have this same problem with an old bass amp (Standell). It picks up the country radio station whose tower I can see from my house. My other amps do not have this problem. I have attributed the trouble to the lack of a ground lead in the AC cord, or perhaps some sort of problem with internal electronics. I have used this amp at other locations and not had this problem. My general thoughts on this problem are that something is acting like an antenna, and the signal is strong enough so that circuits in the unit that are designed to reject such signals are either defective or are being overwhelmed.

JR

• Members

What about if it ultimately comes down to being a problem with the keyboard itself?

-Dan.

It may be inherent in the design of the keyboard's output or grounding scheme or just that something failed and it needs repair.

Call the manufacturer and see if maybe there's an update with regard to this problem.

Archived