Handheld vocal mic for nasally singer

• Members

The title says it all. At the church I mix at, someone managed to drop a 58 in the (full) baptismal, so I now have justification to get a new mic for the lead singer. He's got a decent voice, but it's kind of breathy and nasally and the 58 doesn't help. I'd like something with a bit more body & presence.

I've tried and liked the Telefunken M-80 with this singer, but at $249, that might be pushing the budget a bit. I've been out of the live sound loop for a while, so I either haven't tried most of the other options or have forgotten what they sounded like. I was hoping you kind folks could offer a few suggestions.

FWIW, I did try the search function - I know there have been threads on this, but apparently Search is broken.

-Dan.

• Members

audix OM6? Audio-Technica AE4100?

lower-cost but excellent: sennheiser e835, audio-technica ATM410.

all of these mics will perform well, an SM58 will and does too, but I know it's going to take some work with the channel EQ to get them to sound right with this singer.

• Members

Some vocal lessons?

I'm sure they'd help to a degree (and I'm a big advocate of vocal lessons in general), but sometimes people just have a quality to their voice that you have to deal with. He sings the same way that he talks and it's not inappropriate for the genre.

-Dan.

Archived