Mic splitting?

• Members

Just curious to know we're in the process of getting a new drummer since our old drummer is retiring and used a Roland TD-20 e-kit. The new drummer has an acoustic kit with a decent set of audix drum mics. My problem is my old out dated mixer, a Peavey RQ2314 only has 10XLR plus 2 stereo channels that can dub as 2 extra mono channels giving me a total of 12 mono inputs.

With this in mind. I was wondering if I could split some of the mics up?

for example the 2 rack toms split with a Y mic cable and the 2 floor toms split with a mic Y cable? Then separate channel for kick and snare?

wadda think ya or nay?

I know it not the best application, but it way cheaper then buying another mixer or sub mixing with a smaller mixer for the time being.

I figured since all the tom mics are all the same brand make and model there shouldn't be a huge problem except maybe some eq-ing limitation and gating.

I know get a bigger mixer but for now I have have to work with what I got.

Until I save up and buy the mixer I really want a Presonus SL.

• Members

You mean passive combining, not splitting.

IF the mics are the same on channels to be split, and not phantom powered (odd things can happen here), passive Y cord combining can work ok though you will lose a little level (no big deal) and the response will not be the same due to the waythe capsules are loaded, but it may work good enough. Won't hurt anything.

• Members

You mean passive combining, not splitting.

IF the mics are the same on channels to be split, and not phantom powered (odd things can happen here), passive Y cord combining can work ok though you will lose a little level (no big deal) and the response will not be the same due to the waythe capsules are loaded, but it may work good enough. Won't hurt anything.

Thanks AH, no phantom, and yes a Y split for 2-rack toms and 2-floor toms with all the same mic capsules. I can live with a little loss of gain I sure the drummer has no probs hitting harder.

Archived