PA rigs

• Members

I'm intrigued by the new Mackie SRM-Flex but it looks like a hot commodity. The local GC doesn't have any although they are a Mackie dealer. Heard and saw the EV Evolve 30M which looks good but is pricey compared to my Turbosound IP-2000. Neither manufacturer is honest and reverted to the old '60's approach of peak power ratings instead of RMS which is incredibly misleading. Anyone using either one? Comments? Thanks.

• Members

I own neither, but as a former electronics student (may years ago) I think RMS is a better figure.

Measuring the peaks is one thing if I remember correctly, a sine wave's output is somewhere near 70% of it's peak.

As long as everybody is using either RMS or Peak you will be able to make a comparison.

Notes

• Members

I own the evolve 30 and it sounds really good to me. For a solo or duo they would be a good choice. I also own a pair of evolve 50s that my 4 piece band uses at a weekly gig and they work very well. Watts don't mean crap. Look for the Max SPL number if you want to know how loud they will be. The evolve is louder and has a better mixer than the mackie. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I got the Evolve 30 last month and what a game changer! I've done about a dozen shows with it within the past five weeks and it sounds clear, powerful and makes setup and knockdown much faster. Best of all, no one has complained about volume even though this has included performances at a memory care facility, several 55 and older venues as well as two outdoor shows I could play almost as loud as I wanted. The built in mixer is fabulous and allowing me to tweak things from a smartphone during the performance is excellent. It also has a output I can run into a portable recorder to record myself. The resulting audio sounds terrific, too!

• Like 1