Need a monitor solution for someone who usually can't hear themselves in the mix

• Members

Hey all,

I sing sometimes backing, sometimes lead vocals with my band. The deal is, however, that I am NOTORIOUS for being unable to hear myself in the mix. We jack my vocals through the roof in our floor monitor, and I'm fine until the guitars get going, and then I can't discern myself from the mix. It's something to do with hearing my own voice in the mix. It's really weird. I can hear the other singer just fine. Just can't hear myself.

So what should I do?

Get my own little personal monitor like a TC Helicon VSM-300XT?

Get an IEM setup running just my voice to one ear?

• Members

What are the floor monitors you're using (brand and model)? - A good monitor can make all the difference.

Is the stage volume extremely loud? If so, you're probably in a no win as far as being able to remedy this yourself. The fact you can hear other vocals though seems like there may be some hope.

• Members

I sometimes play in a six piece rock band with an insanely loud stage volume.

We've got a great monitor rig (using Shure DFR22 processors) that you can get so loud you can't stand it. I found the louder I turned my monitor up, the louder the guitars turned up. It was a no win situation I call the battle of the knob twisters.

In the end, an IEM system was the way to go for me. Now, I only hear the mix I want to hear and most importantly, at a safe volume.

• Members

AcousticRock beat me to it.

From what you're describing, if you managed to get your monitor loud enough to hear yourself, then the guitarist(s) would simply turn up to better hear themselves.

An IEM would seem to be the proper solution. Failing that, you would need to have a long discussion (or short if you're the leader) on lowering the stage volume.

One more thing.... You've also got the "more me" in the monitors syndrome. Any chance you can get everything out of the monitors except your vocal.

• Members

Mic technique came to mind for me too. That makes a huge difference. We went all IEM but be careful about the one ear thing. It has been discussed here that using one ear can actually damage your hearing. There used to be an audiologist that would stop by here and had some interesting things to say about the single ear IEM.

In my opinion, IEMs are an all or nothing endeavor. If you are not going to mic just about everything in the mix, stick with the wedges.

What wedges and mics do you and the other singer use? There might be other ways to solve this for ya.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I'll pick out the questions that were asked:

"Maybe the other singing is projecting more and using better mic technique"

He definitely is, but we try to compensate by turning up my mic volume.

"What kind of monitors are you using"

The monitor I get is a Harbinger something or other. Not a super cheap monitor, but definitely not a high end one.

"The whole thoughts on not using an IEM unless I use both ears and then have the whole band in the mix"

This probably won't work then because we generally don't run the entire band through the mix unless we're using PA's for a bigger show. Generally the "mix" is vocals, keyboard, drums. Then guitars and bass run on their own rigs, and we blend the volume from the floor.

• Members

Drums? - I really hope you're using e-drums, otherwise I can't see a reason for that.

If you're ringing out the monitors that could be an issue too. Taking away all the feedback frequencies also takes away a lot of the material. Cheap monitors and loud stage volume are a bad combination if you want to hear things clearly. If you're ringing them out with a 15 band EQ, instead of a 31, that will make it even worse as you're cutting even more than you need.

• Members

are you using hearing protection?

if not, the simplest solution when limited by gear and stage volume is a set of foam ear plugs....http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-02826.html

it will take a few practices to adapt to singing with yourself feeling stuck in your head.

they also have a flesh colored @ 32db reduction. insert them properly and you'll not only hear yourself singing, but save your ears for later use. if these don't help, the stage volume is just way too loud.

• Members

Your updated info changes my opinion a little.

I would say that the starting point would be your own monitor mix. If that doesn't resolve the problem then a better monitor and a 31 band EQ. Probably should do it all anyway.

Couple the above suggestions with a talk about stage volume, and you'll hopefully be able to avoid IEM's - since you don't really want to go there.

As glepko mentioned, I also use earplugs and they actually let me hear my vocals better.

• Members

+1 on the earplugs suggestion, though my experience is with custom molded plugs with only 15db attenuation.

I'll wear these on stage in certain rooms where our stage volume is particularly loud. I can hear my vocals great, but have to remember to project at proper volume.

The issue is that you'll hear yourself sooo well, that you'll tend to sing (much) quieter... And if you don't have good mic technique, this might not be a good solution.

Another thing, it may end up that you have to turn up your instrument volume to compensate for the earplugs...not good. This is why I couldn't just use the cheap foam plugs - I can't hear my guitar.

Archived