Live mic suggestions: condenser or dynamic?

• Members

For your application, the 87a was probably not a good choice. For a quieter stage, maybe a folk/jazz type show in a dry room, with a big female voice, it might be the ideal tool.

I agree with Don that there are a lot of generalizations that, while true for some particular reasons, may not be true for the reasons that have become common folklore.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there was nothing I could do even with the nice channel eq on my MixWiz to make the Beta 87a sound as good and behave as good (feedback or the general sound of the band) as the ND767a.

I'm not stating an opinion on what sounds best. My statement is that given equal frequency response, pattern and equal system gain condenser mics are not more likely to feedback that dynamics and that they do not pick up any more at distance than dynamics. This is pure fact.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, I have no problem with that ... but your opinions are largely based of the fact that you are simply comparing two different mics and not that one is dynamic and the other a condenser.

• Members

Fair enough.

I agree that perhaps a blues band with a big female singer, the mic would have done better.

I tend to close mic all vocals (and teach all band members to do it like this) to prevent as much of the stage noise as possible from coming through the vocal mic's and to warm up the vocals with a bit of proximity effect.

If you are a vocalist that stands several inches to a foot (or more I have sometimes seen) from the mic, this may change things.

It is also true that feeding back is not just a function of one type of microphone, but rather the entire package of technology.

My assertion is that it is tough to beat the live sound of an EV ND767a with any technology on a live stage. I know because I have tried on many occasions with many different microphones.

Archived