Industry related. Who has a bad back?

• Members

My back is still pretty good. I do get a little minor lower back muscle pain now and then, generally when I've been sitting at the computer too long. I had the good luck to work early on with some crews (especially local IATSE) where there was a strong safety ethic and guys always teamed up on the heavy cases.

Bad left shoulder from growing up a bass player, though.

• Members

listen up, young sound dudes! Get in the habit of lifting things the correct way now, get a back support or at least a lifters belt. buy a good handtruck and build/buy, beg, borrow or steal a ramp. Hire a helper! This is why a gig should pay more than $200 bucks!
When i was 20 I thought i could lift anything, now that i am 38 i wish i hadnt.

• Members

i have a trailer with a ramp. a hand truck and casters on everything else. (my gear)

When I'm hired for a gig (with gear by the truck-full) I try and stay out of the load in crews way. easier for them, easier for me :thu:

Im still but have inherited the bad back gene so i'm being extra careful.

• Members

Hire a helper!

... or switch over to lighter stuff :cool:. I try to keep every piece under 50lbs but that's hard to do with subs. I do have a pair of 500wrms 15" subs that are under that and I use a MaxxBass unit to make up for their relatively high cutoff but they certainly don't make your pantlegs flap in the back of the venue :lol:. I''m sure looking forward to those .

Both my dad and his dad had spinal fusions so I really try to not follow in their footsteps there :(.

Archived