Disliking the DD200 - Advice

Josh_Br

• Members

Hi,

I've had a few delay pedals over the years but never really loved any of them, for one reason or another.  Recently, I got a Boss DD200.  I like how I can dial in the BPM and save presets.  However, I don't love the tone.  It seems cold and sanitary.  I pretty much have two questions I wanted to chat about:

1) Does anyone else not really love delay pedals in general?

2) Does anyone have any recommendations of good delay pedals, without going over $250?

Thanks 👍

• Moderators

I own a number of delays, both analog and digital. I agree that the Boss digital delays are 'too clean' sounding, but some people look for exactly that. I was a tube EchoPlex user way back when, and that has 'colored' my approach to delays.

That said, I seriously doubt you will find a new digital delay under $250 that will make you happy [because most are designed to not color the sound, just a pristine recreation]....but...analog delays may be the sound you are looking for, and there are a number of inexpensive [sub $250] options, including the TC echobrain, Ibanez Echo Shifter, JHS Panther Cub [used], Way Huge Supa-Puss [none of which I personally have tried but I know people who use them], the EHX Memory Man, the MXR Carbon Copy [which I used to own] and the GFS 'Pro Delay' [which I do own]...and more.

My current fave is my Anasounds Utopia delay, which gets very close to the old 'tape' sound, while having a clarity typically 'buried' in tape delays...these can be found used in your price range...

I also own a number of great digital delays as well, but the prices are above your threshold...

Do a search on 'analog delay pedals'...there is a wealth of info out there. Pick up one of these units and see if they get that 'tone' you are after.:thu:

• Members

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.  I once had a MXR Carbon Copy delay.  I liked the sound, but wished it had a longer delay.  I believe that's a limitation with the analog delays, though.  Do you have any thoughts on that?  Thanks

• Moderators

That was the issue way back when, but newer units have managed to 'stretch' the inherent delay times. The original Carbon Copy, IIRC was only good up to ~300ms; newer [Dunlop] units will go up to 600ms. I also had an issue with not being able to remove the dry signal completely..which was why I traded it out.

I have for many years [since 1988] used a combination of analog delay [for tone and grit] and digital delay [for longer that 500ms]. My Anasounds actually will go to 600ms, so on that pedalboard, the digital delay is used for slapback, and the Utopia handles the 'deep' stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Carbon Copy Deluxe arrived today.  I got to mess with it for about ten minutes earlier.  So far, I like it quite a bit.  I like the sound...it's easy to get a dark, thick, interesting sound out of it.  Or, you can hit the Bright button and it perks up and sounds more like a traditional analog delay.  If you are aware, MXR makes the normal Carbon Copy delay and the bright version.  They're two separate pedals.  But with the Deluxe, they're both combined into one, plus with tap tempo and a note subdivision selector and display.  So far, my only criticism is I wish I could hit the subdivision button with my foot.  As it is, it's too small for that.  Otherwise, the pedal seems to be a winner.  It's also less expensive than the DD200.

Thanks again for your advice and helping me think!  

• 3 months later...