XLR cables

• Members

I can certainly apreciate a time vs money arguement or That bad cables cause service calls. I belive soldering is a benneficial skill. Making XLRs is not hard as far as soldering goes and the more you do the better you become.

Maybe I miss the old school DIY ethic.

DIY ethic is great and far from "old school", but not when it can lead to an increased chance of failure in front of 1000 people.

• Members

-1! on the pulsar stuff. I bought a couple 8ch snakes a few years ago and they were nothing but trouble, I sold them and have bought EWI for the quality. I also buy GC rapco snake on clearance (5-10') for interconnet cable and solder on what I need. DB25-1/4 and cut the DB25 off and use what I want.

• Members

Cheap mic cables come back to haunt you at the worst possible time...

To be fair I've had expensive and budget cables break on me.

Doesn't matter how much it costs / well constructed it is when someone who thinks they are helping ties your cable into a ridiculously tight loop. :(

• Members

To be fair I've had expensive and budget cables break on me.

Doesn't matter how much it costs / well constructed it is when someone who
thinks
they are helping ties your cable into a ridiculously tight loop.
:(

Of course a quality cable can break. It can also be cut, smashed and burned.

My comment was regarding normal, reasonable use, where a quality cable will last a very long time and poor quality cables do not.

I have several hundred cables, even 5% failure per year is an awful lot of bad cables. Good quality cables keep this down to well under 1% per year. I think the guys who have experienced the poor quality cables had a much higher failure rate than this too.

My 100 shows a year too.

Archived