Dynamic overhead/instrument mics?

• Members

Hi,

I play drums in a covers outfit and am looking to upgrade my mic set-up. At the moment, I am running 3 old Philips mics (one on kick, one covering both floor toms and generally right side of the kit and one that deals with overhead/snare/left side of kit) and they have served me well but are unfortunately on their way out. Most of the time, as most of the venues we play are quite small, only the kick is miked but we have a number of events coming up where we will be playing larger venues and also outside (weather permitting!). Wanting to stay with the tried-and-true 3-mic method while avoiding the usual SM57 route and with a budget of no more than

• Members

Ya know -- It's funny how opinions are:

I can't think of a better performing instrument mic that is cheaper than a 57. In fact, I can't really think of a more useful instrument mic that is more expensive than a 57, either.

I've always thought of them as the absolute rock-bottom cheapest overall cost of ownership mic out there.

• Members

Hi,

If possible, I'd like to avoid going with condensers, but any suggestions would be most appreciated!

What's wrong with condensers?

IMO, the 57 is indeed a very versatile mic, and I don't know if it's really overpriced for what it does.

Also IMO you'll get what you pay for, unless you find a smokin' used deal. Looks like at present, you're heading down the buy twice route - it's not really any cheaper in the end.

I use and like the Audio Technica 4041's (out of your price range), but there are plenty other SD condensers out there that could do the trick.

Does your kick mic need uprgrading too? If so maybe you should start there.

• Members

What's wrong with condensers?

IMO, the 57 is indeed a very versatile mic, and I don't know if it's really overpriced for what it does.

Also IMO you'll get what you pay for, unless you find a smokin' used deal. Looks like at present, you're heading down the buy twice route - it's not really any cheaper in the end.

I use and like the Audio Technica 4041's (out of your price range), but there are plenty other SD condensers out there that could do the trick.

Does your kick mic need uprgrading too? If so maybe you should start there.

Hi Shaster,

I like the 57s, but I really can't stretch my cash that far at the moment - in the UK, a brand new genuine 57 starts at

• Members

I haven't had much luck using LD condensers for overheads, perhaps others have, not sure.

If you are thinking MXL you might see about their SD condensers http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-993-Condenser-Microphones-Stereo-Pair?sku=273171 I've never tried these, and can't vouch for their sturdiness or sound, but if you're stuck at a price point, then maybe...

As to the kick the Beta 52 is a good choice IMO. The D112 is kind of music specific (jazz....) so it's not surprising you didn't like it all that much..

• Members

The first thing I would look at is the Sennheiser 604. Shuld be less expensive over there too.

You might also try a kick, snare (which will get plenty of hat reflected off the snare skin) and a tight overhead picking up primarily the rack toms but will pick up cymbols fine too reflected off the tom heads. It's a pretty reliable way to approachthis if you don't want to mic up the whole kit.

• Members

Well, after a little more research and browsing, I found a great deal on a pair of Audix i5s and a Sennheiser e609 Silver. I've read mostly positive things about the e609 and though it's not the obvious choice for kick drum, it'll be perfect for getting right up against the reso so no-one can trip over it or the stand (hopefully...). The i5s will replace my old overhead and floor tom mics.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Regards,

Luddy

• Members

Well, after a little more research and browsing, I found a great deal on a pair of Audix i5s and a Sennheiser e609 Silver. I've read mostly positive things about the e609 and though it's not the obvious choice for kick drum, it'll be perfect for getting right up against the reso so no-one can trip over it or the stand (hopefully...). The i5s will replace my old overhead and floor tom mics.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Regards,

Luddy

You did good with the i5's (I was just going to recommend them). You'll like them (watch the bottom bump @ 80hz - although they will make your floor toms ROAR :>)

Enjoy

Archived