700 mHz now officially gone

• Members

There are 5 user channels (which actually uses up 10 frequencies). But what's different about our technology is that all 5 channels work all the time. You don't have to scan for new frequencies as you move from city to city ... and there is nowhere in North America where you'd end up with channels in your "block" that wouldn't work. We operate in the 902-928 MhZ ISM band which is much smaller than the UHF band which even after the FCC ruling is 220 mHz wide (ours is only 26 mHz wide). So by operating in this ISM band we avoid all problems with this FCC ruling as well as any DTV interference and and future problems with new TVBDs (whitespace devices) ... guaranteed!

It's probably not intuative because other brands seem to offer hundreds or thousands of "frequencies" ... but these frequencies are not "channels". For example if you looked at the best selling wireless in the USA, even though it has hundreds of "frequencies" you can only use 8 "channels".

I understand what you are saying, but wanted to add something for clarity.

Most wireless systems allow you to tune to any number of frequencies within a specific band. Given the width of a band, say 25 MHz, then the step size determines how many selectable frequencies you can choose from. For instance, if your step size is 100kHz, then you can get 250 choices within that band.

Don is correct that you certainly can't use all of them at once. In fact, you typically have to have a 300kHz spacing between any two channels. Furthermore, once you start to get more than a few wireless mics going, the issue of Intermod crops up - these are new frequencies generated by the existing frequencies. The result is that you can't use nearly all the frequencies, even with the 300kHz min. spacing.

But what does this mean in practice? The bottom line is "it depends". Mainly, it depends on the quality of the wireless system and the quality of the operator. A skilled operator with good equipment can probably get 10 to 12 channels, maybe more, into that 25 MHz band. When you consider that the UHF band offers about 9 such "blocks", you get the idea that you can probably get 100+ channels of wireless mics to work together.

This proves to be true - there are many Broadway shows each using 24 to 48 ch. within a few blocks of each other in Manhattan. Touring bands routinely use 40 to 60 or more channels on a single stage. Festivals have it even worse.

So yes, it is convenient to have channels that are pre-set to work with each other - many systems do this or have done this. Sennheiser used to have 16 pre-set frequencies available on their transmitters. Some models still do.

However, having hundreds or perhaps thousands of available frequencies from which to choose allows for the flexibility of setting up large scale, complex systems.

• Members

So what are some good products (resonably priced) that fall in this now banned list? I am in Canada and am gonna be keeping my eyes open for someone to want to unload a wireless mic or 2 and a couple wireless guitar packs for cheap.

Shure in the UA band.

Sennheiser Evolution in the C band.

• Members

Actually, it's the other way around: 50 mW for VHF and 250 mW for UHF, at the output of the transmitter.

What it looks like is that the FCC is opening up a blanket exemption for all unlicensed users, as long as they are below 50 mW, and they can request a waiver. Licensed users, it appears, can go above that, as I understand it.

That's what I get for recalling stuff from memory. Age corruption.

That's what I am hoping for, the radiated field strength from a 10mW "omnidirectional" source and a 1/4-wave (or worse) antenna is pretty darn weak and I don't see how it could possibly interfere with 5W+ sources and recievers listening to real signals. Especially when operated indoors of a "loosely shielded" building. If I can't get reception outside on public property with a sensitive tuned receiver, I find it a difficult argument that it's anything more than an administrative issue.

Do you have any more information as to the progress being made on the exemptions?

• Members

Do you have any more information as to the progress being made on the exemptions?

Right now it's kinda a loophole in the last rule & order. Nobody actually knows. There is a comment period that lasts a month so there will probably be more info sometime after that.

• Members

There are 5 user channels (which actually uses up 10 frequencies). But what's different about our technology is that all 5 channels work all the time. You don't have to scan for new frequencies as you move from city to city ... and there is nowhere in North America where you'd end up with channels in your "block" that wouldn't work. We operate in the 902-928 MhZ ISM band which is much smaller than the UHF band which even after the FCC ruling is 220 mHz wide (ours is only 26 mHz wide). So by operating in this ISM band we avoid all problems with this FCC ruling as well as any DTV interference and and future problems with new TVBDs (whitespace devices) ... guaranteed!

It's probably not intuative because other brands seem to offer hundreds or thousands of "frequencies" ... but these frequencies are not "channels". For example if you looked at the best selling wireless in the USA, even though it has hundreds of "frequencies" you can only use 8 "channels".

I know I'm dense sometimes (some would say I'm NOT dense sometimes), but I'm not fully grasping what you are saying. I get that frequencies are not channels, but what is the maximum number of Line 6 wireless mics I can have running at one time?

Thanks,

John

Archived