Drum Mics Pleeeeeaaaaase

• Members

80Hz "Punch" (I leave this flat. pg52 is +3dB)

100-200Hz "Woof" (I'll cut 6dB at around 200 or 250Hz, pg52 is -12dB here)

200-300Hz "Boom"

500Hz - 1.2 kHz "Paper" (flat, usually. with the pg52 I cut like 12dB here)

2kHz - 6kHz "Click" (boost 3-6dB, depending on how much click I want)

Hit it out of the park here.... SO many sound guys never add in any high end... ESP the 2kHz to 6kHz range... That's EXTREMELY important.

• Members

Against popular belief, the "chest thump" does not come from the low end. I believe it is actually "felt" around 120. Others here will know better. WMMV.

Indeed. I reckon the D112 is better than the D6 in reproducing this area. But my D6 fits in all drum heads :)

• Members

Indeed. I reckon the D112 is better than the D6 in reproducing this area. But my D6 fits in all drum heads
:)

Yea, but does your drum mic stand accomodate all kick drum head holes?

BTW: Why oh why is the mic hole generally in the bottom 1/2 or bottom 1/4 of the drum head?

things that make you go "WHY???" :confused:

• Members

BTW: Why oh why is the mic hole generally in the bottom 1/2 or bottom 1/4 of the drum head?

things that make you go "WHY???"
:confused:

That's why I cut my bass resonant head for the height of my preferred mic stand (and it is near the bottom).

I suspect the why is because that's the most often seen position which in turn was from using early basic desk stands. Like I am currently using to save weight & space. Also to leave valuable logo space. Billboards with large holes in the middle suck.

Boomerweps

• Members

things that make you go "WHY???"
:confused:

Hmm.. Good question. I'd say because it looks the best there? I HATE when I see the hole in the middle. Or those GOD awful giant holes in the front head...

I'm thinking about going top center for my next kick drum head, just to be different... Then again, I plan to have a d112 or Beta52 on my may mount installed! I wonder how many sound guys will hate this!

• Members

Where & how big the mic hole is effects how the front head resonates as well (by where I mean center or how far off center). Mine is about 11" - 12" (I'm just bragging) - up from the deck (It's a 22" kick). That seems about right for a shorty boom or an extended desk stand.

I agree about not liking the large center hole. This seems to kill any tonal benefit you get from having a front head.

• Members

Where & how big the mic hole is effects how the front head resonates as well (by where I mean center or how far off center). Mine is about 11" - 12" (I'm just bragging) - up from the deck (It's a 22" kick). That seems about right for a shorty boom or an extended desk stand.

I agree about not liking the large center hole. This seems to kill any tonal benefit you get from having a front head.

Exactly.. and I've always been under the belief that any hole over 7 inchs is like having NO resonant head on at all. This makes for a POOPY sound!

Archived