• Members

I just watched again... hell, now it seems like drums are live! I still don't see any mics on the kick... in or around. If it's anything like a 52, D112 or even a 91, you'd be able to see it. I froze some shots.. (because I'm a dork like that) and still don't see anything. Perhaps the kicks were prone to feeback live, so they tracked them? Maybe I'm missing a tiny trigger somewhere, something like the ddrum pro trigger would be visable. I don't see how those kicks would sound good anyway.. Mainly because he has a very thin reso head on there with no hole.

Still a good solid performance. I noticed while rewatching, daultry's lips don't match a few seconds at the end of a song. Could be a sync issue.

I hope we can find some inside info at some point. Find someone that worked the show!

• CMS Author

The lack of a sound hole doesn't preclude a nice kick sound. I've heard lots, and it's a bitch to mic sometimes because of the lack of a hole, but still doable. I'd guess he was using internal mics or a trigger(s), but there could also be a mic on the beater side.

It's really tough to dissect live shows with the editing style common today, and the fact that camera angles are intentionally set to provide a clean view of the artists and not the gear.

• Members

@7:58 take a look at the lower left hand area of the (drummers POV) right kick drum from behind the drummer. i think i can see a small black circle on the inner head, it may be an illusion as i cant see it from a front angle. also the tom mic cables are pretty visible and would be very easy to hide on the kit. arent you a drummer jay? surely you have seen a "no wires" kit before, not uncommon.

there are a couple spots of a backup vox here and there ( ex: ooh ahh ohh ahh ohh (in who are you)) and some keyboards that may or may not be live (ex: synth in baba o'reilly)

i was actually expecting to hear tracks, i was surprised to hear live music. the people on that stage were playing.

• Members

The lack of a sound hole doesn't preclude a nice kick sound. I've heard lots, and it's a bitch to mic sometimes because of the lack of a hole, but still doable. I'd guess he was using internal mics or a trigger(s), but there could also be a mic on the beater side.

It's really tough to dissect live shows with the editing style common today, and the fact that camera angles are intentionally set to provide a clean view of the artists and not the gear.

The lack of a hole isn't much of an issue. It makes it a bitch to get much attack, but I agree. It's do-able. I'm thinking those kicks didn't sound to great acousticly due to the reso head he has on there. They're extremely thin, almost like snare side heads. Put those on a 26inch kick drum, and you're looking at a pretty poor sound! I've got some screen shots of the kicks, both front angles and back. I can't see anything. I'll have to upload them and post em.

I'm just being a complete dork here. Not like it matters or anything, I just find it interesting!

• Members

it is interesting, i'm interested in finding out about the kicks too. i've looked pretty hard and cant say what they did(?)

i have the DVD of the who playing at Monterey in 67, and i tell ya what the superbowl sounded better, maybe not every aspect but i'd have to give it to the superbowl show between the two, and i really like the Monterey show.

thats 43 years between those shows. i got nothing but respect for those guys.

anyone catch john paul jones on SNL saturday? WOW.

• Members
@7:58 take a look at the lower left hand area of the (drummers POV) right kick drum from behind the drummer. i think i can see a small black circle on the inner head, it may be an illusion as i cant see it from a front angle. also the tom mic cables are pretty visible and would be very easy to hide on the kit. arent you a drummer jay? surely you have seen a "no wires" kit before, not uncommon..

Yeah, I'm a drummer! ;) I'm pretty anal when I wire up a kit. I like to make it look good. I try to use 98's when I can but the wiring I'm talking about is where the cord terminates into a XLR adapter. It's hard to make it look that good! ESPECIALLY on a clear acrylic kit! Good job to whoever did the work on that kit. I can see them coming out of the capsule then basically disappear.

I'm seeing that circle too. It doesn't look like a mic, but maybe it's where to leg bracket ties into the shell?

Archived