BMI vs ASCAP

dvkerner96

• Members

So it's come time for my band and I to sign up for either BMI or ASCAP, and I'm not sure which is the best pick for us. We play original jazz fusionish music, if that makes a difference. I've heard varying opinions, some saying that BMI pays better, some that ASCAP has better benefits, etc. What do you guys/girls think? 

• Members
20 hours ago, dvkerner96 said:

So it's come time for my band and I to sign up for either BMI or ASCAP, and I'm not sure which is the best pick for us. We play original jazz fusionish music, if that makes a difference. I've heard varying opinions, some saying that BMI pays better, some that ASCAP has better benefits, etc. What do you guys/girls think? 

Just so you one post doesn't go un-answered.

I had a few things out there, so I am a ASCAP Member.

I think ASCAP just had some big ta do and fired a bunch of peeps.

Unless you're getting millions of plays, I don't thing you see any real $$$ with either one.

You get a discount with Musician Friend of purchases, I know that for a fact. I have been a member since 2006.

With this info maybe you should join BMI. Taylor Swift is on BMI. Billy Ray Cyrus is with ASCAP. You may remember this gem.

• Members
2 hours ago, dvkerner96 said:

Thank you for your reply! 

No problem.

I write more folky song like Gillian Welch

Both Gillian and Pat Metheny  are ASCAP people.

I am a big fan of Metheny's stuff too. I have been listen to him for decades and have many of his early albums.

Good luck with your original work, hopeful it pays off a bit, and if it never pays you a dime, at least have what I call PRIDE IN OWNERSHIP.

I have copyrighted  many things along the way, but nothing in resent years. Fill out the forum as a compilation title and list the songs under that. 

https://www.copyright.gov/forms/formpa.pdf

Archived