Unnecessary effort

kickingtone

• Members

How much effort you feel you are using is not necessarily an automatic guide to the intensity of your vocals.

I got so used to "maximum intensity = singing at breaking point" that it became a habit.

While this is good practice for gradually pushing back the breaking point, and making your voice more resilient, I discovered that it doesn't always do a heap of a lot for intensity.

On this clip I was working on, I backed quite a way off the "effort" and got pretty much the same intensity, which I thought was a cool discovery!

It wouldn't have worked in the past, because my voice wasn't strong enough, which is why I got into the habit of maxing out (<---- maXing out smiley-happy) in the first place.

Still gonna practise maxing out, just for improving resilience.

• Members

I like you vocs, for what they are. In that track I would suggest a bit of compression to bring up the softer pronunciation of words and symbols  and  that should squash down the stronger parts of words.

I'm not great singer, but I did some backing vocs for a friend not long ago,we spent more time on my vocs than any guitar parts I cut for the album. Same with  his vocs. The most difficult part I has is  watching out for p popping, mouth clicks and essssssssssssss, plus matching up what he sang to what I was able to do.

I said to  my buddy, if everyone could do it, I wouldn't need to be here. :D

I listened to some of your other stuff too. Nice voice. classic soft rock tones.  A slight UK/ Irish accent. 

In pro-tools it's easy to fix pops, essss, and any clicking you could hear. We didn't doctor up any vocals with BS processing.

• Members

Thanks Mikeo! Much appreciated, man.

Dynamic range is something I have to get better at. I went quieter than I meant to on that clip. Maybe should have played the mic and moved in for those phrases.

Two singers getting vocals sorted, I totally get why that takes a lot of effort, particular getting the tones to mix or contrast the way you want, and to match phrasing. For some songs I can barely manage a singalong.

When I do practice clips, I tend to just "wing it" (an mangle people's favourites! :classic_unsure:), but I am paying more attention now to the original song, for when I am ready to do "covers" (karaoke). Takes me a few weeks to "get" a song, but then it tends to stick -- no regression.

For me, popping p's and hard esses come and go, depending on day of week.

(Yeah, you're right. English accent. Can't do anything like a convincing accent from anywhere in the US!)

• Members
On 7/31/2020 at 7:44 AM, kickingtone said:

Thanks Mikeo! Much appreciated, man.

Dynamic range is something I have to get better at. I went quieter than I meant to on that clip. Maybe should have played the mic and moved in for those phrases.

Two singers getting vocals sorted, I totally get why that takes a lot of effort, particular getting the tones to mix or contrast the way you want, and to match phrasing. For some songs I can barely manage a singalong.

When I do practice clips, I tend to just "wing it" (an mangle people's favourites! :classic_unsure:), but I am paying more attention now to the original song, for when I am ready to do "covers" (karaoke). Takes me a few weeks to "get" a song, but then it tends to stick -- no regression.

For me, popping p's and hard esses come and go, depending on day of week.

(Yeah, you're right. English accent. Can't do anything like a convincing accent from anywhere in the US!)

Keep it, and don't change it, it make you who you are and unique.

Archived