ZOOM G9 PROCESSOR THRU MESA ELECTRADYNE EFFECTS LOOP?

• Members

I own a Mesa Boogie Electradyne and will be bringing home the Zoom G9 processor to use with it.

The Electradyne is a fantastic amp by itself, but I still need Chorus, delay, compression and boost, so I am picking up a Zoom G9 based on the good reviews and running it thru the effects loop when I bring it home.

Down the road I will piece together a few choice pedals once I get over the money crunch and the analysis paralysis on the forums/reviews pages.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions/opinions on this. I am not sure how I should work running a processor with two tubes thru a tube amp.

BTW-I'm a fairly experienced player, but I am a VERY slow, non-intuitive tweaker.

Can anyone get me started on settings?

Thanx in advance.....

• Members

Why not a few boss pedals thru the front end of the amp? I work with many many local working musicians and not a single one uses a zoom processor. A few have the Pod Live and have spent many many hours with it setting it up, 1 had a digitech thingy and I have yet to hear his guitar not feedback on a gig (he's not really working a lot though). The better players have a small or large pedal board with real pedals not on an effects loopm straight into a good qulity tube amp, er a JC120, even the new vox digital amp. Mostly it's marshalls or fender twin/blues deluxe. Vox ac30's sometimes, mostly those.

just sayin.

• Members

^^^^He doesn't know what he's talking about. A G9 is a great unit.

First, do you plan on using the Zoom as your preamp, bypassing the Boogie's pre? If so, then plug the output of the Zoom in the return of the effects loop. In the global parameters there is a setting for this (eg:straight into live board, recording, into the front end of the amp, in an effects return).

There is the 4 cable method, too. Plug you guitar into the Zoom input, Take the effect loop of the Zoom, plug the send into the Boogie input. Take the Boogie effect send, plug that into the Zoom effect return, then plug the Zoom output to the Boogie return.

Make sure that the cabinet sim is off, and you might want to turn the amp modelling off, as well. Now you'll have the stompbox models before the amp, and the reverb, chorus, and delay in the loop, and you can still use the Boogie distortion. Make sure that you tweak your sounds at the volume at which you will be playing, it's important.

• Members
First' date=' do you plan on using the Zoom as your preamp, bypassing the Boogie's pre? QUOTE']

I'm not sure exactly. I would like to try out all options, first one being keeping the boogie tone as pure as possible.

Better yet, perhaps I can allow for more stage control myself by running the G9 output straight to the board, while simultaneously into the input of the 'Dyne to use as a stage monitor........this way I don't have to worry about stage volume/monitor signal issues (which I am ashamed to admit, is a recurring issue when you live in an area where a dedicated, experienced sound guy is hard to come by)...............is this possible?

Otherwise, I am exploring all options. If I choose to use the G9's (personally tweaked) settings with preamp, cab sims and all, then I would run thru the return loop and boost to taste.

What has been your experience with this?

• Members

And BTW........how do you rate the quality of the stompbox effects by themselves? The reviews and forum opinions I have read seem to vary, but mostly they are very positive.

It would sure save the pocket jingle for now.

• Members

Why not a few boss pedals thru the front end of the amp?

I DO plan to eventually put some nicer pedals in front of it eventually, but that will take money, and time to save the money. In the meantime, I still have gigs.

Not Knockin' Boss, of course. They would work just fine, but for all the options available on the Zoom, and a little patient tweaking, I can reduce the tap dance AND spend less in the meantime.

I had considered getting the Carl Martin Quattro.....an all analog pedal board that I used to own and regret selling badly, but such is life.........

FWIW.....the Quattro is one PRIMO pedal board! It doesn't get a lot of press, but it is worth checking out.....there are almost NO all-analog boards on the market right now........

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Carl-Martin-Quattro-Analog-MultiEffect-Pedal?sku=150260&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Carl+Martin/Quattro/10/1

Archived