Securing payments for PA work

• Members

hey guys!

I'm a small time PA provider typically doing 100-500 venues for bands and DJ. I've been asked to quote for a small 3 day festival that has a few smallish touring acts on the bill. Although not a huge festival it will be a large job for my company where I

• Members

Nothing beats the old and good contract with 50% upfront and the rest when you arrive there, BEFORE any of your gear gets out of your truck.

This is the RIGHT way and ONLY way I'd work if I don't know who's hiring me or don't have details of the event.

If they say no to that, you can get 50% upfront and and negotiate the rest. Maybe have one of your guys with a clicker at the main entrance so they won't say they made no money.

I wouldn't absolutely leave my house without 40-50% in advance to at least cover some costs should anything go wrong.

I'm usually a lot more flexible if I have worked with the same people before, or if they come to me referenced by a friend.

• Members

If you get regular work already... the 40-50% up front is for the reservation of your time. If the gig falls through and fails to materialize it's not like you can just run out and get replacement work for that weekend. YOU sacrifice the opportunity for other work every time you sign a contract and commit to providing services for someone's festival... THEY should be prepared to sacrifice some of their money for the same contract. You should never agree to provide services without something up front to protect your investment... and they should respect that.

• Members

Yup... for new accounts that don't have a track record with your company: 50% up-front (that locks-in the date) and the other 50% (in cash) before opening the back door of the truck at the gig. That's standard fare. Unless it's a charity gig... then you can make your cash donation at anytime. ;) (although making your payment ahead of time might get you mentioned in the newspaper coverage)

• Members

A non-refundable deposit (sometimes negotiable up to certain date, sometimes not) would be mandatory for one-offs, or anyone you didn't know and trust. Even then a deposit is preferable.

Big events can either be big successes or big flops. View your services like the beer or pop suppliers do, and you should be okay.

I can't recall the last time I heard a Coke vendor say they got ripped off by so and so event.

• CMS Author

Yes, definitely to 50% upfront and 50% before the truck gate opens. IN CASH.

It also helps to have a contract that states that factors out of your control are not your responsibility, and that any cancellation due to factors outside your control, including weather, will not result in a refund of your fee.

• Members

It all depends on who is paying. Terms vary depending on the source. 50% down, balance due upon arrival is standard especially for new customers. I have many corporate events on Net 10 terms (but only after a track record and D&B report).

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

Going by the responces it'd seem quite reasonable to request 50% deposit in advance followed by balance on the day cash before equipment comes out of the trucks. I'll go with this plan I think!

Archived