Insert EQ into whole mix. Beginner ?

• Members

It's been years since I've had to mess with a PA.  Thanks in advance for such a basic question. We will be using a  Yamaha MG166C-USB board.  We are running in stereo.

1.  How do I use a rack mounted EQ on the entire mix?  I'm assuming I use an insert cable.  Send/return?

2.  When the signal leaves the board it goes to Yorkville NX 55p tops and Yorkville 720 subs.  I set both crossovers at 100.  Should the signal go to the subs first then to the tops?  Or the other way around? 

Thanks again.

• Members

Could you post what you have for a eq?  You can go out of your board and go into the eq, out of the eq and to the sub, out of the sub and to the top. Some Eq's have XLR outputs and some have TRS (Tip, Ring , Sleeve balanced in/outs)  and some are even unbalanced. ( Unbalanced you'd want to insert )  What do you have for an eq? Yes it can be inserted but it can be as mention as some find it easier.

Doug

• Members

Thanks for the info.  The EQ is a Behringer model FBQ 3102.  It is a dual EQ.  I was going to use one half for the mains and the other for monitors.  There are XLRs and TRS on the back I believe.

• Members
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:40 PM, ochowitz said:

Thanks for the info.  The EQ is a Behringer model FBQ 3102.  It is a dual EQ.  I was going to use one half for the mains and the other for monitors.  There are XLRs and TRS on the back I believe.

Yes, The Behringer FBQ 3102 has both XLR/TRS in/outs. If your mixer has XLR outs I'd go out your mixers Left out ( Pan all outputs to the Left ) and go into 1 of the Eq channels and out to your subs/tops. Take the monitor out and go to the next channel on the Eq to your amp or speakers for your monitors.     For your mains you could set the eq channel In/out meter set to what you want to monitor, Db set to 12 o'clock, Low cut set around 30 to 50hz depending on what you have for subs. High cut around 15 to 18 khz depending on what you have for tops.   For the Monitor Meter In/Out to what you want to monitor, Db set to 12 0'clock to start, Low cut can be set higher to clean the monitors up if you don't have bass guitar or thundering keys going though them. Try around 110hz or so.  High cut can be set lower to keep the cymbals and high hats from being picked up by the vocal microphones. Start as low as you can, maybe between 10khz and 15khz and go from there.   In general its better to take out the sounds you don't like than it is to boost.  Once you have the sound for the MAINS you want push the IN/OUT button and see if things get louder or softer. If the volume overall drops then go to the Input knob and turn it up some. The idea is to adjust the Input knob so when you push the IN/OUT button the sound changes without the overall volume getting louder. ( The IN/OUT button turns the eq adjustments on/off )  For the MONITOR channel most pull out the feedback and leave the input knob where it is at 12 o'clock. 

Doug

• Members
22 minutes ago, ochowitz said:

Thank you Doug.  I've tried to pan everything to the left before.  The break music sounds terrible missing one side.  Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe not. Does the board have "Stereo" channels?  You could try that with those panned to center.  If that doesn't improve it then try only the channels with music play back pan to the center. Why I like to pan to the far Left or Right is different boards may have different "Pan Laws" as far as level when you pan from left to right.  Of course do what works for you. What do you have for a break music player and how is it hooked up now?

Doug

• Members

A person I know sent this to me awhile back. Never got the chance to watch it so it may be a waist of time or maybe not. If your board you may want to give it a watch.  There is 5 videos in this series if you click on the YouTube link. 

Archived